alpha one gen 2 vibration clunking

heath454

Seaman Apprentice
one other thing i see is if you watch the shaft at the coupler. when you turn the out drive the shaft moves outward, basicly the shaft moves in and out as you turn it left and rite.i wonder if its walking out of the gimbal bearing a little to much causing the drive saft assy to become unstable

Last edited:

heath454

Seaman Apprentice
idk yet i have some ideas of how im going to measure that . and make some markings on the shaft with paint or something then slide out drive in turn in a bunch of time then look for the marking on the shaft..

heath454

Seaman Apprentice
just an update we put it all together once again with a new gimbal again just because i had removed the other a couple of times and was unsure if it could have suffered some damage during removal. we did work with alignment a little more. was having issues with it left to right so we forced it over and tighten the motor mounts down. it is better than it has been since this all started. but still has some excessive noise. we ran it all weekend didn't get worse and didn't fly apart. so im just going to leave it be for now. we do believe it is u joint shaft assy related. something messing them up. but it is what it is. could some body inform me the reason for the kits i see for different ujoint clips. we wonder if its because the ujoint assy are just to loose and need tightened up. what are the symptoms of needing those clips.

CamaroMan

Petty Officer 1st Class
sorry im jumping from p1 to p6, i assume you have checked your timing yes? Also make sure your plug wires are not cross firing, this can also cause a vibration. Get a full timing tape and check the timing for each cylinder if you need to. Otherwise look for plug wire routing diagrams online for your motor.. You have the correct firing order yes? The cam determines the firing order, maaaybe someone put in a different firing order cam? Just throwing ideas out here...

achris

More fish than mountain goat
OK... I'm going to throw this at you.... Something to do with the crankshaft, maybe bent or a loose flywheel. That would account for the vibration. And with the drive off, no load on it. And lowering the front of the engine places enough load to make it constant, and 'damps' the vibration. The coupler is bolted to the flywheel, but have you checked the flywheel bolts? Or checked the flywheel for runout?

Chris.........

CamaroMan

Petty Officer 1st Class
chris was thinking the same thing.. or perhaps they used a swap out piston of the motor was ever opened.. with different weight?

Last edited:

heath454

Seaman Apprentice
almost positive motor has never been apart. i have removed flywheel inspected it and inspected it for bent crank or bent flywheel.i have even checked play in crank due to thrust bearing.all perfect. timming is good motor is smooth. no missing no shaking or studering. its def related to the ujoints and shaft and something . hell idk.. two local boat shops have herd it and say the same thing but dont know what it is. and really dont want to work on it.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Do you know someone you could put your drive onto their boat and verify it as the culprit or not?