alpha one gen 2 vibration clunking

heath454

Seaman Apprentice
came from GLM.. i will hopefully get them to waranty it.. i am also going to order all new motor mounts.. i was getting alignment alot closer.but it was looking like i was going to have to mount front mounts in a different location. which is telling me that something in the mounts has moved or shifted or something. or is it possible that this thing was never straight from the factory. idk.. all i do know is that i could loosen the rear mounts. take the lag bolts out of the floor in front mounts. shift motor around and to the right and it would align perfect. then once i would tighten the rear mount bolts. with a 3/8 ratchet. it would shift the back of the motor off center of the gimbal bearing.every time.. i litterally could watch through the gimbal housing with a light and have my son tighten the rear mounts. and you could see it slowly move out of center..
o and i used a 2 1/2 inch 3/4 drive socket and long extension to drive bearing in to housing it seem to fit the outer carrier of bearing perfect and gove me a good flat surface. drove in relatively easy until it bottomed out.i even checked once the motor was out from the inside and seems bearing is drove all the way in .best i can see

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
The ID of the tolerance ring is 2 3/4 and the OD is 3 3/8 If you didint use the tolerance ring to install the gimbal you most likely damaged the bearing by hammering on the outer race.

heath454

Seaman Apprentice
the socket i used fit exactly like what you are showing in the picture. the aluminum outter piece of the bearing. i call it the outter race. apparently its the tollerance ring?

heath454

Seaman Apprentice
i got all new motor mounts and another new coupler. i am installing it all tonight . fingers crossed

heath454

Seaman Apprentice
well didnt fix anything... same as it was .. but it did align perfect. first try with no issues. and very little adjustment. i had hi hopes.. but no good... im stumped. its gona have to go to a boat shop i guess

heath454

Seaman Apprentice
got a new question. the boat shop im taking this to has an outdrive but its a 1.98 gear ratio he says it will work with a higher pitch prop. mine is a 1.84.. isnt 1.98 higher gear ration than mine. so i would need a lower pitch prop??? or am i backwards.. and is this a bad idea in the first place???

bajuski

Cadet
I hope I don't sound stupid but did you check your trim limit switch settings. It seems to me that it's coming up pretty far before it cuts out. Is the steering wheel travel left and right the same? Mine will rumble as it approaches the limits but nothing like that!

heath454

Seaman Apprentice
well i wondered about that same thing . i will bring it to the guys attention tomorrow.

heath454

Seaman Apprentice
done more research i was wrong . 1.98 is a lower gear ratio my boat with a 1.84 and a 14.5 diameter 20 pitch rampage prop will turn 5100rpm wich is a little high. so this guy has the 1.98 ratio outdrive and has a 5blade mercruiser high 5, 23 pitch prop. will this work out ok. or not. i can get it all for 450 bucks

heath454

Seaman Apprentice
well the guy i took it to said it was the out drive...he sold me and alpha one gen one.. says it is interchangable. got it home and it dose not fit. and this jerk wont answer my calls or texts.. i am not happy. meanwhile i did however get my hands on another out drive from a good working boat, put it on mine and its all the same . no change.. i also have taken it to two other local boat guys. we do not know .. everybody is stumped. both of these guys are very experienced boat guys no body knows what to do......

heath454

Seaman Apprentice
pulled motor again examined everything again. put a used coupler in it. rechecked everything messed with alignment cant find anything.... i have another guy helping me he is a mechanical genius. both of us are just lost. it chatters so bad it will damn near knock tools off the back of the boat.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Have you run it with out the outdrive on, can stick a hose in water port on bell housing ? Does it make the same noise with outdrive off? Wondering if balancer on front of engine is delaminating as you've swapped and resawpped everyingbafter the engine.

heath454

Seaman Apprentice
i have ran it without outdrive. i have also ran it with the long section of the shaft pushed through the gimbal bearing into the coupler. no noise.. its only if the out drive is on the boat. something to do with the ujoints and shaft . and i have put 3 different ones in it . one set being a complete different outdrive

heath454

Seaman Apprentice
well today i decided to just hang the motor with cherry picker and start it up . put it in position to make the noise then i started moving motor around. when i droped the front of engine way down it got alot better. still there but way better.. but why did my alignment tool always slide in and out with good grease marks.??? also why does every coupler i put it it seem to look wobbly in the center if you look at them through the gimbal while boat is running.??? so confused and frustrated. then the guy that sold me the out drive says no refunds on used parts. i said you sold me a part that dosnt fit .. and the prop he sold me is cracked.. i swear i am so frustrated rite now.. does anybody know a good boat mechanic in southern Illinois ???? so if i had to drop the front of this motor almost 2 inches to quiet this thing down was the alignment really way off. or is something just way out of wack and its only helping the situation. if the alignment is way of and a person puts it together will it mess up the coupler and make it out of round rite away..??