shift cable head scratcher

andrewterri

Chief Petty Officer
I will try to make this short and to the point/question. 89 3.0 alpha one. previous genius bent one spring arm on interrupter switch because motor kept dying. installed new lower shift cable. remote shift cable is old but smooth with 3" of travel from reverse to forward. when at the lake the boat does not hit neutral when shifting out of gear at idle, the boat would shift find when it comes off of plane since the remote had more travel. you must pull back towards reverse to find it neutral. the boat did not do this previous and I thought the new cable just stretched a little. the kill switch was also staying engaged for to long in reverse which was killing the motor at times. I found the pdf Don had listed which was from the manual and how to set lower shift and remote cable. followed precisely and the kill switch is being engaged in reverse. I adjusted the way the manual showed for this and it kept happening. Cable must be kinked as you can see the pressure on the cable sitting in its housing, however, I do not think there is another way to route them. the lower shift cable is routed on the starboard side of the engine and makes a somewhat tight loop by the flywheel and starter. I took the settings back to where they were, which is way off from where they are suppose to be, and everything shifts without engaging the kill switch. I also have the kill switch bolt which holds it down onto the valve cover finger loose because the switch will not spring back otherwise. This tells me the switch needs to be replaced. what do you guys think? thank you in advance for your help.

alldodge

Staff member
Your shift cable should be routed as in the pic below on the left

shift cable routing.jpg

As for it not shifting correctly I would go to the Adults only section, Mercruiser, then look at Chris's vid on adjusting the cable.

As for the switch, I would need to see what your looking at

andrewterri

Chief Petty Officer
thank you AllDodge. I will re route the cable now. Mine currently does not go behind the power steering