Shift and throttle cable design

I am working on a 77 model boat that has been sitting for quite some time . Its a 120 hp i4 drive number 4186702. I am contemplating replacing the entire shift controller and cables. The design of the existing system has all the linkage tucked up under the stern of the boat. I have attached a picture of what i believe is a newer 3.0 with the linkage attached on to the rocker cover. This looks like it would be much easier accessed the the existing layout.

My question is, with me preparing to replace all the cables and controller, would it be an easy changeover to source the parts for the newer style? And besides the obvious accessibility issue would there be any other benefits to changing it over? Would it be worth the effort?

Attachments

• image_267481.jpg
    image_267481.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 0

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
All you would need is the shift plate and the valve cover and minor wiring

That's pretty much what i thought. Thank you for confirming that. As far as the cables go, if I were to buy direct replacements for older style they will be long enough? Or is there specific cables for the rocker cover design?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
No, the lower shift cable will fit using the newest one Goes in from the aft direction and you need a special tap.
The other cables, just measure the length