Slight Oil leak from oil seal carrier ?? Normal?

ilove2fixx

Chief Petty Officer
Also is there a specific direction to tap out the old seal and any special instructions on how to tap in the new one??

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
I lay the outer housing on a old race from the large input bearing , guess you could use your if your careful flat side up and drive the seal down.
Using a "flat something" larger than the seal drive it fully flush
I`ll post some pics in a minute

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
This side faces the bearing
DSCN4172_zps0hljtcqx.jpg

This side faces the yoke
DSCN4173_zpspay1t42s.jpg

ilove2fixx

Chief Petty Officer
How far do I tap the new seal in? Is the seal supposed to rub the floor when I set face down or is the aluminum housing supposed to rub ? Seems like I have it flush but it does rub against a flat surface ..
Am I supposed to clean the aluminum parts if they have to clean the carrier and spacer they have corrosion Like yours in your pics ? Do I have to clean or lubricate any of the gears ? I haven't touched them they been sitting in a container should be clean ?
Also my seal is double lipped and looks different from yours and my old one ? It's a much tighter snug fit on the yoke ? Better ?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
In my second pis the seal is flush with the top of the housing. That pic is from a drive that suffered a gear failure, so it hasnt been cleaned. Clean it with brak-kleem carb cleaner, solvent, etc I just hit the housing with some very five wet/dry sandpaper ,thats all.
Gears will be fine, just keep them clean
It is a National seal?If not then I have no clue what yours looks like, is there a number on the seal

ilove2fixx

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

It's after market idk what it is lol
But it's double lipped much thicker and different from original but has a nice snug fit.
Here's a pic

Attachments

• photo268513.JPG
    photo268513.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo268514.JPG
    photo268514.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 0

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Too tight will burn a groove, too loose and it will leak, improper design it will leak. Looking at the inputshaft it turns CW, there should be small lines or ridges angled to spin any oil back into the drive. Similiar to the rear main bearing on the motor . Without those grooves/ridges the drive will fail.
The National seal I now use is the same one that mercruiser used many years ago .The oem number was 483323VGO The seal is Vitron, not rubber.
Just remember that the input shaft turns at the same speed as the rpm, so the seal needs to be designed for this and not just be a rubber seal on the approx same dimentions.

ilove2fixx

Chief Petty Officer
So the seal I have is no good? The seller has sold many of these ?? I'm confused

I checked the part number You said and it's similar to the one I have .. but not like the old oem part that I took out..

3J0365 / 3J365 / 455911VGO

Is yours similar to this pictured on the next post?

Last edited:

ilove2fixx

Chief Petty Officer
Just get the National seal 712250 ,

That's the same seal I got lol u confused me when you said I need to get one with the diagonal slots in it.. that national one doesn't have them , same as my new one ..so I'm good right bt ?

Also the gimbal bearing looks new and smith like butter but the hole is at the 11 o'clock position ??
The previous owner really did a sloppy job on everything .. bellows were loose , hoses were ripped trim wire was ripped to .. luckily I caught all this now

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
The oem aka 7122250 does not use than because of the seal design.The newest seals in the rebuilding kits have this grooving . Merc was blowing up their drives under 30 hours from carrier seal failure using a Chicago Rawhide seal CR xxx. They changed again to a offshore company to remake it.The seal design after the CR incident use a single lip design that didnt hold up for long either.
I post a pic of the newest GEN II seal tomorrow and I dont like it one bit either.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
[h=1]Timken National Seals 712250[/h] [h=2]Viton Oil Seal - 47 Design, Double Lip with Spring, 2.2500 in Shaft, 3.0050 in OD, 0.3750 in Width[/h]
Mi Item #:01317848

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
aft Diameter:2.2500 in
Outside Diameter:3.0050 in
Width:0.3750 in
Lip Material:Viton
Design Type:47
Seal Type:Double Lip with Spring
Maximum Shaft Surface Speed:3000 fpm
Casing:Without Inner Case
Misalignment Tolerance:0.015 in at 800 rpm; 0.010 in at 4200 rpm
Construction Description:Dual Lip, Spring Loaded Without Inner Case
Continuous Temperature Range:-40 to 400?F
Typical Application:General Purpose

ilove2fixx

Chief Petty Officer
I will buy that seal you mentioned but Is the new seal supposed to be tight like this one I have I put the oil seal carrier with the new seal on the yoke and it's pretty snug ? I can turn the yoke upside down holding the carrier and shake it and it won't come off ? I'm guesssing that's not normal ?

Last edited:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
I just love the word "compatable" "almost fits" "kinda fits" "force fit" "should work" "might work for a while" and might just fail shortly after installation.