lower shift cable - new style / old style confused

CamaroMan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ordered new cable last week, the old style goes from the front and new from the rear. Im waiting for a 1/4-18 npsf tap but the brass nut seems WAY bigger than a 1/4, more like 5/8 or 1/2" npt -

Can someone shed light? Im tapping the gear housing metal right? Only 1/4 thread i could see was the upper cable mount where you screw in the plastic end-

Just want to make sure I understand this correctly - thanks!

heres a pic of the nut:

Attachments

• photo266168.jpg
    photo266168.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 6

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
cut the old cable whiz wheel, grinder, etc. Then use a 9/16 6 point socket to remove the remaining part.
start the tap from where the brass nut was and thread thru the housing,
install new cable from the rear so that no more than 2 threads are showing. More than this sticking out and reverse will be impossable to get.
1/4 inch pipe is not 1/4 inch in dia. Its a pipe thread not a bolt thread

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
DSCN4142_zpsm1ttbdz0.jpg

CamaroMan

Petty Officer 1st Class
fantastic BT thanks for clearing that up! Yes cut the old one and removed - achris mentioned the threads go all the way thru but I couldnt see them, either way the correct tap is arriving this week - just as well cos I have to do my boat and a friends at the same time

many thanks!

khe

Petty Officer 1st Class
What type of drive are you working on? Gen one Alpha or an older 888/898?

When tapping the aluminum, make sure to use a cutting oil that is for aluminum. When I did this on an 888 drive, I used Tap Magic for Aluminum but WD-40 will also work for aluminum. Start the tap from the threaded end and go slow - back the tap out and clear the chips several times. You don't want to gall the threads. You can use pipe sealant with Teflon on the new shift cable or Quicksilver Perfect Seal. Seat the new cable as Bt Doctur described.

You'll need the Mercruiser tool to install the new shift cable. You can use a 9/16" 6-point spark plug socket (with the rubber portion removed) but you will need to grind down the outside diameter of the socket so it won't interfere with the bell housing.

CamaroMan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi - its a 1964 with a TR mercruiser.. managed to get the brass nut in, no need to thread it - just cleaned it up. Put in some blue loctite and teflon tape - screwed all the way in..

​Sorry I had no clue the threads ran thru, my first cable job! shes all in

khe

Petty Officer 1st Class
Interesting that the threads were all the way through. On my Dad's 1976 888, I had to tap them through as they did not go all the way through. Usually pipe sealant with Teflon or Quicksilver Perfect seal is what is used on the threads. Hopefully, the blue Loctite won't be an issue if the cable ever has to be changed in the future.

CamaroMan

Petty Officer 1st Class
cool - i actually ordered the tap and then cancelled as I found I didnt need it, so many mixed variations - probably a good thing to have on hand. It could easily ruin a job getting done - maybe ill just get one soon..