Stripped Shift Cable Bolt-Alpha 1 Gen 2, and Oil Reservoir Hose

enginesilo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Went to remove the Alpha 1 Gen 2 shift cable nut that meets the bell housing and within 3 tries I stripped the bolt, was even using the special socket (Part #91-12037) to remove it, I can't win I tell ya.

What next? Should I go ahead and cut the shift cable from the backside of the bell housing and then figure out how to get the screw out the bell housing? Any tips appreciated.

Oil Reservoir Hose
What's the best way to remove this hose? From the backside of the bell housing? Should I replace this stretch of hose from the gimbal housing to the bell housing while I'm already in there doing my bellows?

Bondo achris AllDodge I'm guessing you guys have seen the stripped bolt before....I hope.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Using a 6 point socket I have only see it happen once. Best way is to drill the brass end out , and final drill with the drill bit made for 1/4 inch pipe thread. Nothing needs disassembly
and retap the hole with the straight tap

alldodge

Staff member
Oil Reservoir Hose
What's the best way to remove this hose? From the backside of the bell housing? Should I replace this stretch of hose from the gimbal housing to the bell housing while I'm already in there doing my bellows?

Need to get the bell housing out of the way to get at the area. Have a tie wrap in position where the new hose goes to the transom. Use long needle nose pliers and some power tune to slide the hose over the barbed fitting. I've done it also with dawn soap, but power tune works better

enginesilo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Using a 6 point socket I have only see it happen once. Best way is to drill the brass end out , and final drill with the drill bit made for 1/4 inch pipe thread. Nothing needs disassembly
and retap the hole with the straight tap
Thanks for the specifics. I sold off my drill press after not using it a whole lot, so I may try to find a local machine shop to do the drill and tapping for me. Hopefully they see it and think its a piece of cake and get it done.

Need to get the bell housing out of the way to get at the area. Have a tie wrap in position where the new hose goes to the transom. Use long needle nose pliers and some power tune to slide the hose over the barbed fitting. I've done it also with dawn soap, but power tune works better
Good tip, I bought a can of power tune recently but haven't used it yet, this will probably be its first use.