Fuel module / cooler housing replacement

boat4fun83

Seaman Apprentice
Here's my situation, bought an 07 cobalt with 350 mag MPI. Mechanic didn't winterize correctly and the fuel module housing cracked. So he had it professionally welded which held up on the outside. However upon running the boat for the first time, there's water draining out of the bottom of the fuel module enough to where it starts pooling below the motor. My question is, is there a way to replace the housing without replacing the complete unit? I saw in 09 they switched to a gen 3 fuel module due to paint delamination clogging the previous modules. My motor was inluded in those FYI. So I'm guessing I need to get the newer fuel module which is different from the old which in turn tells me I have to do the whole unit. The previous owner is stepping up to the plate and paying for it but if I can save him a few bucks that'd be good bc he's a good person however I have to do it right the first time. Part numbers I'm showing are 8M0047215 and either the new two or three bib hose kit. Haven't looked to see what I need yet.

Second question is do you think it would be okay to run the boat until I get the part replaced? Boat runs fine with the leak but long term won't work obvious. I hate to miss Memorial Day in our new boat but don't want to cause unneeded damage.

Thanks in advance.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
0L000000-0M2999999 sie 18-8861 merc # 861156A02
0M 300000 sie 18-1862 merc # 861156A03
0K999999 and below W/ cool fuel sie 18-8863 merc # 861156A04

boat4fun83

Seaman Apprentice
Correct me if I'm wrong but those are the ones in the bulletin that they are saying need to be replaced due to paint delam/corrosion. I don't want to put a bad part back in the boat

boat4fun83

Seaman Apprentice
Actually those are just fuel pumps. I need the whole housing replaced. That's what cracked.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
There the cooler tube type , mounted on the port side low, just above the motor mount , they feed the cool fuel III mounted low stbd side motor mount

Fun Times

Staff member
Part numbers I'm showing are 8M0047215 and either the new two or three bib hose kit. Haven't looked to see what I need yet.
The number you found 8M0047215 looks to be the latest complete kit assembly including pumps, etc. at just over $1000.00 like this one shows, https://www.perfprotech.com/product/...arch=8m0047215

In 2009 there's a bulletin that's available online and it shows for that time period the latest part number for just a new housing with no pumps, etc. to be part number 864650A14, https://www.perfprotech.com/product/...arch=864650A14
which has now superseded to 8M0047216 like these, https://www.perfprotech.com/product/...arch=8M0047216 Or seen the A14 link just above too.

You'd may need to count your orifice hose bibs as they've changed about 2 or 3 times it seems.. That mentioned, 'Being that you have a newer housing already, you might not need the bibs but you still need to look to make sure.
Here's what the 2 count looks like for you, http://www.ebay.com/itm/QUICKSILVER-...-/191573117850
And here's the 3 count for you, http://www.ebay.com/itm/MERCURY-MERC...NZCS~B&vxp=mtr

Here's Mercruiser Service Bulletin 2009-01 - Genuine Mercury & Mercruiser parts too...

As for running the boat with it leaking...Though not recommend!!! At the very least I'd guess you'd want to inspect the inside for cracks/damage plus any water signs on the inside of the fuel system so you don't damage the engine with putting possible water in the fuel system. If there are no cracks on the inside and you can J-B weld (etc.) the outside to stop the water leak for the time being, then you might be able to get away with using the boat for the weekend if truly desired....If the engine starts to run bad then time to slowly head for home or get towed in if possible. Just don't go to far from the trailer.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
SIE%2018-8862.JPG

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
If this thing only cools the fuel why cant a oil cooler put in the fuel line to do the same thing?
Race cars use a "cool can" filled with dry ice ,same thing with a oil cooler using water
No way the boat owners should be held hostage to Mercruiser for over costly items

alldodge

Staff member
Its all to reduce the issue of vapor lock on EFI motors. There is an easier fix but for some reason Merc doesn't want to do it.

Jcris

Chief Petty Officer
just what I was thinking. Bt, that "kit" costs a thousand bucks?

boat4fun83

Seaman Apprentice
There the cooler tube type , mounted on the port side low, just above the motor mount , they feed the cool fuel III mounted low stbd side motor mount

That's not what I'm needing to replace. If you google the part number in my original post you'll see the complete housing kit I'm needing to install. Sorry tried uploading a pic but too large

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
I mention oil coolers simply because they used threaded fittings unlike power steering coolers that dont.
A hi pressure pump pumps fuel ,period. Dosent care where it going, just thats its going someplace . So put the suction line thru a oil cooler installed in the raw water line.
If you have ever made a "still" its the same principle a coil surrounded by a cold fluid ,raw water at 60 degrees
Look into the volvo system . hi and low pressure combined in one housing too

alldodge

Staff member
Saw that last night. I'm guessing he "engineered" the barbed hose fittings himself therefore will likely fail in a couple years. Not putting the wrong parts on my 40k boat.

Agree, that he probably did that, but there has been a couple guys on the Formula forum which did tap for the new fittings and their still working