whats the difference between fluid motor mounts & regular stringer mounted mounts?

stang32

Chief Petty Officer
whats the difference between fluid motor mounts & regular stringer mounted mounts?

there's a boat with fluid mounts mounts attached, 1989 sea ray 19' this whole boat is an abortion & I am sorry i ever set eyes on it.
the mount posts are resting on the exhaust manifold 3/4" elbows underneath. i bought the regular mounts, i have seen on every other merc around & want to swap them, yes, both sides and motor bracket and stringer mount.
however the bolt spacing were they attach to the stringer is closer than the fluid mount spacing so i will have to drill new holes in the stringer.
i am guessing i need to fit the engine in place & use the alignment tool on it 1st before i drill new holes but man i just keep getting beaten up by this boat.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you need the squishy mounts on 4.3 liter V-6's before 1992 (when they added a balance shaft)

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Pull the drive,.... Lift the motor,.... Change the mounts,.... Drop the motor back in,.... Align,... Slap the drive back on,...

Go Boatin',.... ;)

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Not different answers, buy the right mounts then do what bondo said for install

stang32

Chief Petty Officer
Not different answers, buy the right mounts then do what bondo said for install

what about the fact that the fluid mounts hit the elbow ?
I'm assuming scott is referring to fluid mounts which is what is there

Scott06

Vice Admiral
My apologies missed the fact that they were hitting the elbow in my first read. There must be some parts mismatch what engine number are u working on and can you post a photo.

The fluid mounts as Scott stated were used to dampen the vibrations in pre balance shaft motors, I'm sure you could use the rubber mounts but not sure if you'd feel vibration. Bondo were you thinking these mounts would be ok on a non balance shaft engine?

stang32

Chief Petty Officer
the motor has been swapped out so there are no #'s. the photos i took are too dark ad i already have the new mounts attached but the stud is literally pressing on the elbow. does it make sense to drill new holes in the mount location for these mounts? the bolts go through an extension off the stringer & are nut & bolted as opposed to going right in the stringer with a lag bolt

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Without a picture hard to tell what your working with. If I understand correctly the adjustment stud on new mounts are hitting the elbow as well? If this is the case with both styles of mount I would think someone repowered this boat and the angle brackets off the stringers are too high? Can these be lowered?

stang32

Chief Petty Officer
that is not the case, the mounts that WERE on the engine were the fluid style mounts. those mounts adjustment stud were hitting the elbows. i purchased the regular more common mounts, i guess they are post 1990, and i am planning on putting them on the engine but these mounts have a smaller diameter which will require new holes be drilled in the stringer bracket.
the new mounts do not hit the elbows but the post from scott danforth has me questioning if puttng the new style mounts on this engine would be a good thing to do, then bondos post about "Ayuh,.... Pull the drive,.... Lift the motor,.... Change the mounts,.... Drop the motor back in,.... Align,... Slap the drive back on,...

Go Boatin',.... ;)" has me further confused , does he mean use the new mounts? it is complete conflict with danforths post.
sorry there are no photos the ones i had are too dark & you cant see ****.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Photos would be very helpful. Mounts hitting the elbows is a physical impossibility. There's a wack of iron between the exhaust elbow and the mount, called a manifold.

Simply. Non-balance shaft engines use fluid mounts, balance shaft engines use normal rubber bonded mounts. You need to know what the engine is. And it's not just the mount that's different, the engine hardware between the block and the mount also varies. Not a simply swap.

Chris......
Oh, unless you're talking about the rear mounts and not the side mounts.

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
then bondos post about "Ayuh,.... Pull the drive,.... Lift the motor,.... Change the mounts,.... Drop the motor back in,.... Align,... Slap the drive back on,...

Ayuh,..... I was only addressin' how to change the mounts,..... Not which motor ya got,....

If the motor is original, it'll be a Shaker,....