UH oh.. I think I broke the ujoint ???

ilove2fixx

Chief Petty Officer
Hi guys the other day the boat started making a loud helicopter fast thumping noise when turning the wheel.. especially when in idle.. but when going straight you can't hear it.. so I took out the drive and noticed there was water in the ujoint bellows.. gimbal looks good and is smooth But I looked at the ujoints and and housing is chipped and one bearing is shot .. I can turn the shaft one way but not the other ? I can but is Very hard? I hope it's not a huge repair .. how can I verify the drive it self is ok since it's not turning one way ? Check second pic , you can see the chipped metal Housing and busted Bearing ..

Attachments

• photo265867.JPG
    photo265867.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 3
  • photo265868.JPG
    photo265868.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 5
  • photo265869.JPG
    photo265869.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 3
  • photo265870.JPG
    photo265870.JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1358.JPG
    IMG_1358.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1360.JPG
    IMG_1360.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Probably can't turn it the other direction since the water pump impeller makes it tough to turn in the opposite direction of how it normally turns.

How does the gear oil look? Any water in it?

I guess I don't see what you are describing as a chipped housing.

Last edited:

ilove2fixx

Chief Petty Officer
Probably can't turn it the other direction since the water pump impeller makes it tough to turn in the opposite direction of how it normally turns.

So Bruce you think I need to replace the whole metal shaft assembly or Just the Ujoints ? You see how it's slightly cracked ?

Alumarine

Captain
You're there and can see things much easier.
How about circling what the problem is?
Also, sometimes pictures from slightly farther back help with perspective.

ilove2fixx

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

You're there and can see things much easier.
How about circling what the problem is?
Also, sometimes pictures from slightly farther back help with perspective.

Here's a pic with a circle around the broken bearing and metal around it

Attachments

• photo265882.JPG
    photo265882.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 1

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
The thing that is cracked looks like the u-joint. However, it looks like your yoke is bent. I would likely replace because of that.

ilove2fixx

Chief Petty Officer
The thing that is cracked looks like the u-joint. However, it looks like your yoke is bent. I would likely replace because

I found the whole shaft assembly good condition for around $150 is that good?
Or should I just replace u joints if the yoke isn't bent ?
You think the water caused all that ? I did see the bellows dry cracked but I didn't see any holes but maybe there are rips and I didn't notice them ..

ilove2fixx

Chief Petty Officer
ok upon closer inspection the Ujoint is just damaged not the Actual metal frame / yoke.. BUT how do I test it out to see if the metal structure is good ?? How do I make sure it's just the ujoint ?

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
The yoke bores need to be parallel to each other. Not sure of the best way to test that. A machine shop might be able to tell you.

Out of curiosity, how old are your bellows? How often do you pull the drive?

ilove2fixx

Chief Petty Officer
The yoke bores need to be parallel to each other. Not sure of the best way to test that. A machine shop might be able to tell you.

Out of curiosity, how old are your bellows? How often do you pull the drive?

Just bought the boat.. and I was planning to replace the bellows soon . And then Bam this happens lol
Should I worry about anything else since water was present and the ujoint broke? Anything else I should change or check ? Should I replace both ujoints or just that one ? And are all the spanner tools the same for alpha drives ? Do I need to unscrew the drive or can I change the ujoints whiles it's all connected to the drive ?

ilove2fixx

Chief Petty Officer
Ok will do.. but I did notice water in the bellows and what seems to be oil or a mix of water and grease on the bottom of the ujoint bellows ? I'm afraid if any of that water got into the actual drive ? Or is that unlikely ?

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer
To me it doesn't look like water intrusion,everything would be quite rusty,I think your seal is just leaking and you have gear oil in the bellows.You could check that yoke with two deep 3/4 sockets after removing the u joints I guess or maybe a piece of 3/4 pipe

ilove2fixx

Chief Petty Officer
Also can I buy spicer or other cheaper but good quality ujoints ? I read where Don the moderator said he used spicer ujoints ?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,... They're listed in Don'S Adults Only section, the link is in my signature,....

ilove2fixx

Chief Petty Officer
Compatible Ujoints for Allha 1 gen 2 ?

Hi guys I need to know what compatible Ujoints I can use on a alpha one gen 2 drive ? Off a bayliner 2004 5.0engine model 205

ilove2fixx

Chief Petty Officer
Hello?? Anyone there ? No ones responding to my posts?

Hey guys I really need help please , which ujoints can I use for alpha one Gen 2 ? I removed one of the ujoints and it's marked GKN 3B ? Which gkn ujoints can I use ?

ilove2fixx

Chief Petty Officer
Hello anyone there ?? The previous comment was today .. not as revised by mods to show yesterday.. been 2 days no response ..?