Gimble Bearing Bellows Detached (what now?)

jobrown

Seaman
Welllllll things are interesting with the77 Cobalt. I noticed some water coming in the boat last time I was out. I noticed a bit of oil dripping from the outdrive and thought it must be the trim, but a closer inspection and I see the gimble bearing bellows is detached. The oil is from the lower unit, oil that I just replaced a month ago so it's clean and not milky or anything.

But coming from the lower unit into the gimble bearing housing has to be bad. I guess I'll end up replacing a lot of stuff with this, my main question is how bad? We have a trip to the lake planned this weekend that I can't cancel now. I've got no noise coming from the gimble bearing but I'm sure if it's seen any water it needs to be replaced.

Thoughts?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Nope, cant run the boat under those conditions. The bellows needs to be attached and the oil leak from the inputshaft repaired

jobrown

Seaman
Nope, cant run the boat under those conditions. The bellows needs to be attached and the oil leak from the inputshaft repaired

Sooooo reattaching the bellows and rolling this weekend could lead to a catastrophic failure? šŸ˜­

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Sooooo reattaching the bellows and rolling this weekend could lead to a catastrophic failure? šŸ˜­

The bellows keeps your boat from sinking. You have a massive leak potential with a torn or 'detached' bellows. So that has to be perfect. A leak from your outdrive is a good way to lose a ~$1200 drive.

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer
Also the water very likely washed all the grease out of the gimbal bearing. I feel bad for you, nothing like a nicely planned weekend at the lake gone up in smoke.

Good luck, hopefully nothing serious in wrong.

jobrown

Seaman
No Title

Pics of my afternoon.

Attachments

• photo265831.PNG
    photo265831.PNG
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • photo265832.PNG
    photo265832.PNG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... When I gotta do a bellows job,... I do the lower shift cable at the same time,....

Yer already right there,...
'n if ya don't,... it'll puke in no time, so why do it twice,....

jobrown

Seaman
No Title

Attachments

• photo265833.PNG
    photo265833.PNG
    427.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo265834.PNG
    photo265834.PNG
    437.4 KB · Views: 0

jobrown

Seaman
Ayuh,.... When I gotta do a bellows job,... I do the lower shift cable at the same time,....

Yer already right there,...
'n if ya don't,... it'll puke in no time, so why do it twice,....

Had a new cable and boot put on last fall actually when the old one started taking a crap on me, so at least that is solid

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Shoulda done the bellows then too,.....

I don't do one, without the other,....
Their expected lives are 'bout the same,.... 5 to 8 years,.... 10 is a Stretch,.....

jobrown

Seaman
That's the thing the gimble bearing bellows were only a year or two old, they aren't torn or even worn still look brand knew, one side just popped off

jobrown

Seaman
Pulled the lower unit plug. Plenty of water in that oil. Guess the billows were detached while we were out last time