Engine not starting

sped

Cadet
I have a Sea Ray BR SS with a 350 MerCruiser and tried to start it and it will not fire. I poured gas into the throttle body and it fires right up. I am sure it has varnish in the system so where do I start? Take the injectors off and clean them? I will change the filter while checking it out.
Thanks, Ed

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
how long did it sit?

if you have varnish in the system, you will need to clean the system from the tank to the injectors

alldodge

Staff member
I have a Sea Ray BR SS with a 350 MerCruiser and tried to start it and it will not fire. I poured gas into the throttle body and it fires right up. I am sure it has varnish in the system so where do I start? Take the injectors off and clean them? I will change the filter while checking it out.
Thanks, Ed

When you turn the key ON does the fuel pump run for a couple seconds?
If no, then check fuses and swap the two square relays on top the motor next to the fuses and ECM

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
a year and engine serial number will be useful. How long has it been sitting? You have about a dozen other things to check before pulling injectors.
If you do need a cleaning there is a good place in NY , fast turnaround.

sped

Cadet
a year and engine serial number will be useful. How long has it been sitting? You have about a dozen other things to check before pulling injectors.
If you do need a cleaning there is a good place in NY , fast turnaround.

I live in southern Nevada, the boat is a 1996 with a throttle body FI system. I would like to start somewhere maybe the injectors.

Regards,
Ed

alldodge

Staff member
Ed, are you saying you have already determined that it is an injector issue, so this is why you want to start with them? Or you just want to start with them and have no reason?

sped

Cadet
Ed, are you saying you have already determined that it is an injector issue, so this is why you want to start with them? Or you just want to start with them and have no reason?

I would like to start with them because they may be the easiest to fix but what I really want to know is what fails first when fuel is the problem. I am trying to find this out so I can get it running faster. Relying on the experience of others that have been through this before.
Ed

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
They might seem like the easiest thing to fix cuz they are up on top of everything, but you really need to do some diagnosis before you start throwing money at things... I would start with verifying your fuel pump is working like previously suggested, then next, you could try disconnecting the fuel line at the throttle body and have someone hold it in a clear jar and when you turn the key gas should come out... if it does then you should start looking at injectors... and even then, I would start with the electrical system that controls the injectors... I really doubt both injectors crapped out at the same time.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... The place to start is the fuel Filter,.... Dump it into a clear container, 'n examine the contents for anything but clean fresh gasoline,.....

harleyman1975

Ensign
I agree with the forum you need to make sure you have fuel pressure (the correct fuel pressure). The fuel needs to be clean, fresh, quality fuel. The fuel filter should be changed as a maint. item. impeller must also be changed if it is 5 years old or you will get it running and then proceed to burn it up.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Do you hear the fuel pump run? There is a oil pressure switch that controls the electric fuel pump

sped

Cadet
Do you hear the fuel pump run? There is a oil pressure switch that controls the electric fuel pump

The fuel pump runs and has fuel. I pulled the injectors and they were coated with dried fuel. I am waiting for the gaskets to put it back together.

Thanks for the advice.

Ed

CaptainMak

Petty Officer 1st Class
Start with the fuel filter/s first. You CANNOT test those injectors for pulse, etc on your own without special tools.
Run an external fuel tank with clean, fresh gas and see if it will idle. If it does, injectors are not your problem.

Also, are the flaps in the TBI closed when you try to start it?