Help needed I've got a leak

Bigtrout29

Seaman
Hey guys been looking all over the place for answers and can't seem to find what I am looking for.. I have a 84 mfg with a 165 merc with an mc1 the boat was in storage for a few year been posting alot about it. So we finally got it out this weekend ran like a brand new motor thanks to the guys on here.. now the problem pull the boat out after a couple hours pulled the plug and a far bit of water came out I thought maybe the plug was the problem as I might have seal the new one in with the wrong stuff.so I thought I would put alittle water in the bielge see if it was that and found that water was coming out from the bottom of the gimble. Checked the intagraty of the transom solid as a rock... what are my options to fixing.when I pull up on the leg I can see the gimble move ever so slight should I try to tighten it or use some sort of sealer on it I don't wanna put the boat aside as the season just started here any help would be great thanks guys

Bondo

Staff member
when I pull up on the leg I can see the gimble move ever so slight

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... Where, Exactly is this,..??

'tween the fiberglass, 'n the transom assembly,..??
Or, in the transom assembly itself,..??

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
20170523_195420_zpshuitvokq.jpg

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
You just described to a T one of the first symptoms of a rotten transom... What usually happens next is a layer of sealer around &/or under the transom assembly, which is a temporary fix for a year or 2. Put your lower unit down, and then stand on the anti-ventilation plate while someone else watches the transom. Bet it flexes.

Bondo

Staff member
Checked the intagraty of the transom solid as a rock...

Ayuh,..... I think ya checked all the wrong places,......

If the bolts get loose, it's because the transom is rotten,....

Bigtrout29

Seaman
Thanks guys well good news is I clean my garage out so now the boat will go in and I can start ripping and taring thanks again for all the help I'll post some picks of the process as I go thanks again

Bigtrout29

Seaman
Hey guys Tuesday nite I will be getting balls deep in this transom rebuild do i have to pull the hole out drive a part or can I just unbolt the gimbal from the transom and separate so not to effect the bellows

Alumarine

Captain
Have to remove the drive.

Put it in forward gear.
Remove rear trim cylinder mount.
Undo 6 nuts to pull drive.