exhaust pipe leaking at transom plate

chris mig

Seaman
So first dip in this year turned out not so good, found water in the bilge. On closer inspection I also heard a little exhaust leak, so just turned around hooked it up in complete disgust and took it home. So after work with a clearer head today, got down on starboard side by the shift cable and see a small hole in exhaust tube at transom plate. So I guess my question is (1) is this possible (2) can the tube be replaced without pulling the motor? Mercruiser 485 with alpha one outdrive BTW all new bellows last year TIA

Bondo

Staff member
So I guess my question is (1) is this possible (2) can the tube be replaced without pulling the motor?

#1,.... Ayuh,... Sure lotsa possibilities,...

#2,... Nope,....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
most probable, the flappers got burned off the shaft and the steel parts with the shaft rubbed a hole in the y-pipe

gotta pull the drive and motor. you are pulling the drive annually for your u-joint and gimble bearing inspection, correct. so the motor is an extra 45 minutes to get it out (assuming you have a cherry picker)

chris mig

Seaman
Thanks for the bad news guys....LOL....can I buy the part not having any luck on my first search

chris mig

Seaman
most probable, the flappers got burned off the shaft and the steel parts with the shaft rubbed a hole in the y-pipe

gotta pull the drive and motor. you are pulling the drive annually for your u-joint and gimble bearing inspection, correct. so the motor is an extra 45 minutes to get it out (assuming you have a cherry picker)
yes Scott I pull it at end of every season... just put it back together didnt notice anything in exhaust but was not looking

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Before buying anything, find what is wrong

chris mig

Seaman
found a re-manufacture(just cleaned and inspected) for $100 they call it strait exhaust pipe for 4 cylinder

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,...... Somebody that can weld aluminum, can weld that hole shut,....

chris mig

Seaman
So motor pulled... exhaust tube was rotted out from outside even the bottom bolt hole one side was gone the other just eaten up. got a perfect one from mike mercruiser in TN. Put it back together next weekend