How hot should your manifold elbows get?

TCATTC

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just did a 3.0 to 4.3 swap on my boat (4.3, Vortec heads, roller cam, Holley, aluminum manifolds, Alpha One gen II) I have the coolant hoses routed like in the Mercruiser manual. I haven't had it in the water yet but running on the ears the port side elbow seems to get hotter (135deg) than the starboard one does and it does it quick. My temp gauge seems to be not working but a laser temp gun shows the engine cool. I only let it run for a short time. There were two different elbow gaskets in the kit. Could I have used the wrong ones? Could the garden hose not have enough volume? Thanks in advance for any advice

Bondo

Staff member
There were two different elbow gaskets in the kit. Could I have used the wrong ones?

Ayuh,.... It could be alota things,....

Such as, the wrong gaskets or poor water flow, or just the angle the motor is sittin',....

Which gaskets did ya use,..??
Post a picture of yer hose routin',...

TCATTC

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I used the gaskets with the water passages on all four sides. I will take some pics when it stops raining.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
garden hose needs to be as large a diameter as you can get with as short a length as possible and the hose turned on full. then your limited to 1500 RPM or less.

one riser will always be slightly different then the other riser. however rapid temp rise and one riser 135 degrees warmer than the other says you have no water flow to one side

jmarines

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was told from the local marine mech that the gaskets with the 4 holes are used in salt water applications.. Not sure how true that is.

TCATTC

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Still raining but this is the way I plumbed my manifolds, less the fuel cooler

Attachments

• photo265718.jpg
    photo265718.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Right in yer drawin' it shows usin' the restricted gaskets,....

It don't matter salt or fresh water,...
Which gaskets depends on which T-stat housin' is used,...