Mercruiser 496 HO MAG intake noise

timandheidi2

Cadet
Getting a crazy noise from my newly installed 496. Previous owner of the engine said it is normal. This noise is coming from the intake, and sounds like darth vader breathing. What is your guys input? here is a link to a YouTube video. This is not my video or my engine. But is doing the same thing. https://youtu.be/C4O8c4pg9ek

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you have 496 cubes of engine trying to breath thru a little air cleaner.

you should hear them at full throttle, you can hear the air whistle over the throttle blades

Scott Danforth

Staff member
K&N not worth it in this application

this is from OSO and is a very good read on air filters. Discusses a 502 build and runs it though several pulls just to get data on changes. Even got into fuel causing some real issues from one vendor to another.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...n-my-shop.html

alldodge

Staff member
To me that sound is not normal, it should not be going up and down. Are the rpm's fluctuating or staying constant?

K&N won't help but with your stock motor won't hurt.

alldodge

Staff member
Could be, but is it normal

Never heard one do that, an EFI motor should be constant at a steady idle. It could be the IAC, but what is causing the IAC to change to keep the motor at a steady idle would be my question

timandheidi2

Cadet
Never heard one do that, an EFI motor should be constant at a steady idle. It could be the IAC, but what is causing the IAC to change to keep the motor at a steady idle would be my question

My thought exactly. Previous owner said it has done this since he has owned it. I have rode in other 496ho mag boats and have not heard this noise. I will start throwing parts at it.

alldodge

Staff member
I will start throwing parts at it.

I wouldn't suggest that, I would suggest getting the motor scanned for codes. It might be a loose connection on the TPS, IAC, MAP or other. The scanner will show if there is something out of spec

Scott Danforth

Staff member
could be cyclical fuel pressure and the ECM is compensating by adjusting the IAC.

find out what is wrong prior to buying any parts.