Anode replacement on Alpha 1 Gen 2

TheRussian

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello,

​Could you guys please help me figure out the replacement of anodes on my outdrive.

​I have ordered a Quicksilver anode kit that includes the trim cylinder anodes and a prop shaft anode (seal carrier anode?). At a closer look at my outdrive, it is missing both and I don't understand if I can use these anodes on my drive. I have included the pics.

​Is there any way I can put these anodes on with my configuration? I just don't see where I could attach either of them.

​Thanks!

Attachments

• photo265632.jpg
    photo265632.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo265633.jpg
    photo265633.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 0

JoLin

Vice Admiral
My 1992 boat had the first iteration of Gen 2 trim cylinders. The end caps weren't drilled/tapped for the anode that comes with the kit. I used what's called a 'limited clearance donut/shaft anode', in 3/4". They clamp around the end of the piston rod. I changed out the cylinders this year (just cause they were old and crappy) for new SEI units and am now using the 'standard' gen 2 anodes that screw into the end caps.

I have never replaced the prop shaft anode- believe you have to pull some stuff apart to get to it. Others here know it better than I do and will chime in.

My .02

Last edited:

TheRussian

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks... So no trim cylinder anodes for me I guess... Not until it is time to swap them out.

What about the prop anode?

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Thanks... So no trim cylinder anodes for me I guess... Not until it is time to swap them out.

Not what I said. You should still use anodes on the trim cylinders- the type I mentioned in my post. Buy the size to fit a 3/4" shaft. They're readily available.

Last edited:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
no threaded holes in the carrier so no prop anode either. what most use are the "egg " zincs mounted to the trim shafts

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Bt, the egg-shaped anodes may be too wide and interfere with trimming in/down. My boat had the donut type when I bought it and I've changed them out annually ever since. They leave plenty of clearance between the piston rod and cylinder body.

TheRussian

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So these anodes connect to the cylinder itself or the piston? It seems to me that they would have to connect to the rod and thereby disallow retraction of the rod into the cylinder...