HELP, old trim pump leaking down

Unitoo1

Cadet
(hope im in the right section)

I have and old 1970 black pristoline trim pump. It is leaking down. I look under the pump and i see the dogbone. The leak is coming from one bolt and from the flare fitting to the black hydro hose. When I grab the hose, I can wiggle it. could I just retighten both? or once a hydro hose comes lose, its trash and needs replacing?

I was thinking that maybe is a o-ring. I saw a diagram that said there are 4 o-rings after you remove the 4 bolts on the dogbone. could this help me in replacing those 4? if so, then which o-rings in the attached diagram do i need to replace? am I replacing (#1 o-ring) in the main image? or (#4,5,7 o-ring in smaller diagram) is its the latter that I cannot find those for sale. Only (#1 -oring) in larger diagram. I only need to remove the 4 bolts and there are 4 o-rings right under each bolt??? then replace both hoses? I just dont know where to start. thanks guys!

(image is just one off google. mine is still attached.)

resizedpump.jpg Pump.jpg

Bondo

Staff member
When I grab the hose, I can wiggle it. could I just retighten both? or once a hydro hose comes lose, its trash and needs replacing?

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... I guess is depends on exactly where it's loose,...

Tighten the nut, if that tightens the hose, it oughta be just fine,....
Ditto the manifold block,....

Unitoo1

Cadet
Guy I bought boat from told me his mechanic 5 years ago said problem was too $ to fix, so just keep filling with oil. I bought boat last year and took to my mechanic. He said "yup its leaking, cant find parts, too old, wont touch it. Now im nervous that Im trying to fix something that 2 separate mechanics 5 years apart said was too expensive and could break other stuff in the fix. So I researched everything.... learned damn near how to rebuild the pump., where to get parts, how to install, how hydro lines work etc .etc..

So finally ready today, I pulled the back seat. got down and started to tighten the bolt and flare fitting first just to test. aaaaaand its tight and NOT LEAKING....

ARE U SERIOUS!?!?!? thats it?!?!? pull seat. tighten 2 bolts?!?! a leak that 2 mechanics said was to problematic and expensive to fix and that plagued last owner for 5 years and me for 1 season. fixed by turning 2 bolts?!?!

mmmmmk then.

Im happy and astounded.... anyhow. SOLVED.....

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer
Yeah just think, some mechanic could have found that and charged you $500 to fix it and you'd be none the wiser.

Money saved, easy fix, that's a win win! That calls for a celebratory beer!

Unitoo1

Cadet
Yeah just think, some mechanic could have found that and charged you $500 to fix it and you'd be none the wiser.

Money saved, easy fix, that's a win win! That calls for a celebratory beer!

Ain't that right......