sounds like theres a duck in my engine compartment

Etzler

Seaman Apprentice
Yep. Sounds like a duck. Narrow it down. Where isn't it coming from? Water pump? Alt? Power Steering?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Use a stethoscope or long screwdriver to your ear and try to narrow it down. Pop off the belt(s) to see if it's a driven accessory.

Other suspects are gimbal bearing and the outdrive.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Remove the belts and retest , maybe a electric fuel pump going bad/ Definitely a rotating issue of some type

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,... Sounds like a belt chirp to me,...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Actually it sounds like a goose. :pound:

Alright, I think it sounds like a bearing going or a slipping of a clutch type sound. Is there anything that uses a clutch or bearing in the driver section?

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Yer sure it isn't a duck?

In all seriousness, pull the v-belts and fire up for a few. Sounds like an alternator to me. Make sure you have the muffs running water to the impeller so you don't cook that.

jmarines

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Pulled the belt off and the sound was still there.. It does not go away when I idle up to around 1200 rpms.. The sound just gets faster

Rick Stephens

Admiral
With sound still present and no belts on the motor, that leaves either the front end - timing chain or harmonic balancer rubbing, or back end flywheel housing. Take a couple foot long wooden dowel and hold it against your ear and different spots on the motor to assist in isolating where the noise is from.