Mercruiser 3.0 (140hp) Apha 1 Drive control & throttle cable adjustment.

Bondo

Staff member
and that might made it misaligned.

Ayuh,.... You can check it, even if just as practice for when goin' back together,...

But by yer symptoms, the coupler is already beat, alignment or not won't change that,....
Bad alignment won't cause yer problem,...
Yer problem probably came about, Because of bad alignment in the past,...
Rotten transoms are probably the #1 Killer of couplers,... Most last the life of the motor, or longer,...

nic420

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thank you for all the advise you've given me Mr. Bondo. I took the drive off today and can't tell by looking from the back if the coupler is toast. So I looked behind the motor where the drive shaft goes in through the transom and notice rubber grindings splatter. I guess this is a good indication the coupler is toast?

I also tried to stick the alignment tool in but it does not go all the way in. Does that mean the engine alignment is off?

Bondo

Staff member
. I guess this is a good indication the coupler is toast?

I also tried to stick the alignment tool in but it does not go all the way in. Does that mean the engine alignment is off?

Yes, 'n Yes,...

nic420

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You are right! Took of the coupler and it had like rubber playdo chunks.

nic420

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Replaced the coupler and now the boat works great!. Also, if replacing the lower shift cable does not solve your shifting problem, replace the control and throttle cables should help. Thanks Don for all your advice.