lower unit failed pressure test

yjanray

Petty Officer 1st Class
Unless the drive is less than 2 years old, drill and remove the ring. 2 close holes, chip out the section , and remove remaining ring.
You will need a GOOD puller and a LOT OF HI HEAT (Oxy/Acet type). Remove the carrier housing .
UntitledLS_zpszkmjvvr4.jpg
DSCN3917_zpsk6sbjhuo.jpg

Can you tell me more about the drilling hole method? I tried to drill a hole but am scared of damaging the threads. I don't want to let the retainer against the end where the threads are either.

yjanray

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I got the bearing carrier out with relative ease. The retainer nut had to be cut out in pieces, but the bearing carrier came out with out any heat or any real torquing of the puller. Honestly, I did most of it twisting it with my hand....

Anyway, I when I got it out, I was spinning the gear on the end, it it sounded kind of rough....Also, this big ring that is between the carrier and the gear moves around in there very freely. Just wonderin if this is normal and if I should try and replace the bearings....I just dont' know much about pre-loading/shims and things like that....

Thanks

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
That ring is loose , normal its purpose is to squeeze the O ring when the nut is tightened. The bearing should not feel rough , only smooth. If shims were used you will see them when you removed the housing, either stuck to the housing or on the carrier.#17
is a shim
When installing, clean the case threads with a wire brush and verify by installing just the spanner ring #28 all the way into the case

yjanray

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I can't get the prop shaft seals out at all. I have drilled them with a metal screw to pull them out, but nothing. Also, when I took out the reverse gear, the cup on the bearing carrier is pitted all along the bottom. Should I just get a new bearing carrier assembly?

yjanray

Petty Officer 1st Class
I got the prop shaft seals out finally but I am afraid that I buggered up the bore a little bit.

yjanray

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

pictures of the damage i discovered

Attachments

• photo265546.jpg
    photo265546.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo265547.jpg
    photo265547.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo265548.jpg
    photo265548.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo265550.jpg
    photo265550.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo265551.jpg
    photo265551.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 0

yjanray

Petty Officer 1st Class
if I get a new bearing carrier and re use my reverse gear and bearings, do I have to do anything with backlash? I am not even really sure what backlash is or how to measure/adjust for it....