lower unit failed pressure test

yjanray

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello Iboaters, its been a long time since I have posted here. The members here have always helped me and have gotten my boat up and running multiple times. So I have come back with a new problem, and I am a little concerned that there is no remedy.

So I took off the lower unit from the upper unit to change the impeller and to inspect things. I had some gear oil coming out of the exhaust area behind the prop....
When I pressure checked the out drive, I heard noises and started spraying soapy water everywhere. So I found a leak at the bottom of where the exhaust water exits behind the prop, right at the seam of the ehaust area and the gear housing. I have attached a picture from the service manual where the leak is....this is a metal surface, and I am afraid that means that my lower unit is toast? Can this be repaired somehow? Its near impossible to get your hands down there or anything like that....

Any advice or help thrown my way would be appreciated!

THANKS!

Attachments

• png.png
    png.png
    509.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

yjanray

Petty Officer 1st Class
Carrier o ring?.
I don't think that it is. The leak is coming from where two metal pieces join. It is at the joint of the gear housing and where the exhaust gas/water gets directed through the prop. If you look at the attached picture, it is right in that corner that the arrow is pointed....

I wonder if something like high heat jb weld would work in this situation?

yjanray

Petty Officer 1st Class
There is a O ring seal in that area.
I don't see any O ring anywhere in that area. I see number 35 and 36 which is a thrust ring and bearing, but no O rings. Not sure how an O ring would fit in this area.....Do you know which part number it could be?

flipbro

Master Chief Petty Officer
Pull the retainer nut pull the bearing carrier it's around the bearing carrier. Replace the 0 ring put a lite smearing of permetex aviation sealer on the new oring assemble. I also put the aviation sealer on the threads of the retainer. Don't forget to torque it properly. Likley a good time to replace all seals.

yjanray

Petty Officer 1st Class
Pull the retainer nut pull the bearing carrier it's around the bearing carrier. Replace the 0 ring put a lite smearing of permetex aviation sealer on the new oring assemble. I also put the aviation sealer on the threads of the retainer. Don't forget to torque it properly. Likley a good time to replace all seals.
so how many special tools do I need to remove the bearing carrier and get to those seals???? :-(

flipbro

To replace just the oring and seals in the bearing carrier you just need a bearing retainer nut socket and a good half inch torque wrench. The carrier can be a real pain to get out and ussuly u have to drill the retainer nut and break it out. The retainer nut that is.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Unless the drive is less than 2 years old, drill and remove the ring. 2 close holes, chip out the section , and remove remaining ring.
You will need a GOOD puller and a LOT OF HI HEAT (Oxy/Acet type). Remove the carrier housing .
UntitledLS_zpszkmjvvr4.jpg
DSCN3917_zpsk6sbjhuo.jpg

Last edited:

yjanray

Petty Officer 1st Class
I will try that but o really think the housing is cracked somehow. Not sure how it got cracked. The area I see bubbles is coming from where two pieces of metal meet. Here is a video

https://youtu.be/58UGfxodksE

Thanks

yjanray

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am am idiot. I watched like 15 videos and I finally understand what I'm looking at! So next question is can i just pull that bearing carrier and replace the o rings, or do I need all the special tools to replace all the seals in the forward and reverse gear?

yjanray

Petty Officer 1st Class
How so I know if its the only leak? Should I replace o ring and then reassemble to pressure check?

Thanks!

flipbro

I would change all the seals but that's me and I have all the special tools. There's no reason u can't change just the 0 ring and retest.

Hoosmatroos

Petty Officer 1st Class
Change that seal and inspect the others. If you're not confident than leave the others and just reassemble. Then do the pressure test again.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
usually a leak there would indicate a VERY hard prop strilke to force the housing outward. any hard strikes?

yjanray

Petty Officer 1st Class
usually a leak there would indicate a VERY hard prop strike to force the housing outward. any hard strikes?
The boat has been sitting in my garage for 14 months. Had a baby last year, and never got the boat on the water last year. So I have been doing some up and running maintenance, like changing impeller and thing, and found the pool of gear oil in the bottom of the lower unit where the exhaust exits behind the prop.

Prior to that, no prop strikes at all. I really am careful not to run aground or hit things floating in the water..

yjanray

Petty Officer 1st Class
Change that seal and inspect the others. If you're not confident than leave the others and just reassemble. Then do the pressure test again.
I am getting the retainer nut wrench in the mail today. I will try and get this thing out of there and see what the other seals look like....I Guess since i'm in there, I might as well do the prop shaft seal, right?