Oil capacity dilemna

jimrockireland

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I started out with a 1983 MCM228 engine (V8-305) serial# 6285627. The block was cracked so I bought a 1978 MCM898 block (not sure of the serial # for this) and migrated all the controls from MCM228 engine to the 898 block. I believe I recall that the dipstick location was on the other side of the engine, I can't remember if I used the MCM228 dipstick or the one from the 898 engine .but the dipstick measures 19.5 inches from tip to the lip (probably another 1/2" under the lip. I recently changed the oil and filter adding 6 qts. of oil. The problem is it barely registers on the dipstick even after running the engine for about 1 minute.
Question: 1) Does the 898 have a larger oll capacity than the MCM228?
2) Is this the right length dipstick for an 898 block?
3) Any suggestions

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the two should have the same capacity, or within a quart of it

GM changed from LH dipsticks to RH dipsticks in late 1978 if I recall

length of dipstick depends on length of dipstick tube. so you have a 19.5" dipstick, if your in a 40" dipstick tube, you could fill the whole motor with oil and never read anything. conversely, if you have a 19.5" dipstick in a short tube and the dipstick hits the bottom of the pan, it could read full with only 1/2 quart in it.

full level for an SBC should be about 3/4" below the crank, or about 3-3/4" below the pan rail

so measure your dipstick tube length from the pan rail to the end. then measure your dipstick. the dipstick should be about 3-3/4 - 4" longer than what you measured from pan rail to end of tube

jimrockireland

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the advice. I measured the dipstick tube from the top to where it disappears into the engine and it measures 9" . For a 19.5" dipstick this means I have a dipstick about 6" too long by your calculation which would only mean I am overestimating how much oil I have in the oil pan - yet I think I am underestimating.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... That motor should hold 5 quarts,....

Does the dip stick go into the block, or into the side of the oil pan,..??

I usually dump in 4 quarts, start the motor, check for leaks, shut it down, then top off to the hi-mark on the dip stick,...

jimrockireland

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The dipstick tube disappears about 1" below the spark plug. This is where I measured the 9". From there to the top of the oil pan there is a tube like contour in the block itself that measures another 6". It then disappears into the top of the oil pan. The oil pan itself has a deep drop toward the back of the engine. This additional 6" is probably what Scott is talking about. If I add this to then 9" I measured previously I would have a dipstick tube of 15". Close to what Scott suggested.

jimrockireland

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just thought of something else I did. On this engine I can add oil to both valve covers so I put in 3 qts on each side. I'm wondering if I need to run the engine longer to get the oil from both sides of the engine into the oil pan?

Bondo

Staff member
On this engine I can add oil to both valve covers so I put in 3 qts on each side. I'm wondering if I need to run the engine longer to get the oil from both sides of the engine into the oil pan?

Ayuh,.... Dumped in either side, the oil is in the pan in seconds,... No runnin' necessary,...

'n yer not describin' any dip stick configuration that I've ever seen on a SBC, marine, or not,....
The dip stick tube either goes into the block, at the oil pan flange, or goes into a fittin' that's part of the oil pan,....

jimrockireland

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Is there any chance this engine takes 8 qts of oil? I'm wondering if I should drain the oil (again) and re-fill.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
If the tube goes into the block, measure from the oil pan flange to this point. Then add the length of tube from that point to the end of the tube along the tube. If the tube curves, measure that

This is the length of the tube.

Add 4" to that length. That is how long the dipstick should be

jimrockireland

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I tried collecting the oil I removed in the oil change and it was at least more than 6 qts. - maybe 8. I'm just going to add another 2 qts. and see what happens

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Dont add more oil. You will froth the oil in there causing all sorts of issues

Too much oil is worse than being 1 qt down

Fix your dipstick issue, get the correct level of oil in there

jimrockireland

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I took my truck dipstick and inserted it into the dipstick tube until it bottomed out in the oil pan. The total distance from the top of the dipstick tube to the bottom of the oil pan was 25" and measured 4" of oil. If 2" represents oil full I would need a 23" dipstick to measure full oil. My dipstick measures 20" long. I do notice a big drop in the oil pan as you get toward the back of the engine. It's like a deep section of a swimming pool. Is this normal for a 1978 Chevy 305 block? Since my dipstick tube is 14" from top to where it enters the oil pan it says there is 7" from the top f the oil pan to the top of the oil. This is quite a bit longer than Scott's estimate of about 4". I'm wondering if the oil pan drop at the end of the engine is normal and does a 23"dipstick sound right for this engine?

Bondo

Staff member
Is this normal for a 1978 Chevy 305 block?

Ayuh,.... All SBC oil pans are rear sump, that's where the oil pump lives,.....

How deep is yer's, from the top rail of the pan, to the bottom,..??
Does it appear to be the original,..??

jimrockireland

Petty Officer 2nd Class
From the top of the oil pan to the lowest bottom of the oil pan is about 7" and it appears to the the original oil pan