thunderboltV module, no spark

dannybp

Recruit
my 5.7l alpha has a replacement module, 8m2012350 installed when i bought the boat. a no start condition caused me to buy a new module . ( no power on the white/red wire.) replaced the module and still no power on the white/red wire, now what? thanks, dan

alldodge

Staff member
Howdy

Before checking for 12V on the Wht/Red was their 12V on the + side of the coil with the key ON?

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Weren't no way and no how that I was going to pony up the $ that Tbolt modules soak you for these days. So after checking voltage and concluding the module no longer worked, I just replaced it with Voyager EST ignition. Happily ever after, by the way. I like the EST, no complaints at all.

dannybp

Recruit
sorry, i did everything the shop manual calls for. have power to the coil,power to the module, removed gray wires (one at a time ) from the negitive side of the coil to checkfor a bad tach, checked the ground with a test light on the positive, lights up bright. i am at a loss,not sure where to go next.

alldodge

Staff member
Not knowing what shop manual your using, here is the TB trouble shooting guide
As for the gray wire, just remove it from the coil - side
TBV Troubleshooting.jpg

dannybp

Recruit
i am at a loss. what could/did i miss ? i thought the same,simple system,no problem, put a module in it and go. NOT ! was hoping someone would have some insite as to what to do next, or to check .

alldodge

Staff member
The TB ignition test works, there isn't anything else that can tell what is wrong. So if the testing was done correctly then it identifies what's wrong.

That said, it won't be the first time a new sensor was bad out of the box. Many places (not all) will exchange if you get a bad one. Michigan Motorz does