engine align problems

netting one

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Lets just say after hours of reading all the logs on this subject i still have a guestion and videos. I have a 5.7 merc with a bravo II outdrive. I installed a new coupler this winter and trying to get it back in line. We have had this motor up down and every were. One of the videos shows use a 1.00 pipe to locate to see how close you are to the gimbel bearing and mine is about 300 postion! up and down is pretty straight foward but not left or right? I have rotated 180 a couple of time and no help? motor mounts good and bolts and springs also. Im close as i can push the tool in all the way with a little forse but not sure, i want it right. 3rd coupler in 800 hrs thanks

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
If I`m reading the post correctly you have good verticle but bad horiz location . When you removed the motor did you remove the 4 front bolts/lags or just the 2 nuts?
3 couplers in 800 hours is not right. Loosen the rear mounting bolts slightly, remove the 4 front lags and shift the motor to correct the alignment, then pilot drill new holes and install the lags

alldodge

Staff member
You getting any water in the boat from just use, like maybe a soft transom?

netting one

Petty Officer 2nd Class
thanks guys, at first i did not remove the bolts holding the motor mounts. i have 2 big cast aluminum plates in the boat that you nut and bolt them in. also i have a proline all fiberglass so no rotten transom. i have lossened everything and started moving the front of the motor to the starboard side,and did get better but im out of adjustment. i did lossen the 2 back bolts also and moved them around also. with the bearing centered the 1 inch pipe is on the right side 3:00

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Remove the front nuts and bolts and shift the engine accordingly ,Not the first one I` have seen incorrect.
It may have been off just enough to destroy the previous couplers.

Bondo

Staff member
. i have 2 big cast aluminum plates in the boat that you nut and bolt them in.

Ayuh,.... 3 couplers in 800 hours, sounds like these front mounts were put in wrong in the 1st place,.....

netting one

Petty Officer 2nd Class
well another 4 hours and have it closer but im not likeing it yet! what i did was loosend the mounts and the brackets then put the tool in to get a base line. the motor is all the way to the right and i can get the tool in with a decent grease pattern so i might have to stop there! with the 2 back bellhousing bolts it will only go so far. thanks again for the help.

alldodge

Staff member
I'll suggest start over from scratch.

New motors are aligned by in stalling rear bolts loosely. Next get a hoist and pick up the front of the motor from the thermostat hosing, just enough to have a slight bit of clearance on both front mounts. Now, top nuts on the mount are off and mounts are sitting on the surface. Install and tighten lower bolts.

Now run the lower nuts on the mounts until they touch the bottom of each motor mount, then remove hoist.

This is your baseline, adjustments are made by turning each mount up or down the equal amount of turns until alignment is achieved.

netting one

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks i like that idea. Will try tomorrow to see what i can come up with. I like that idea. I took my tow motor put the forks over the motor and ran a come along down to the water neck. Just lifted a little and the bottom nuts on the motor mounts move real easy. Cant wait till sat...

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have spent days on an alignment and I can tell you the ONLY way I will ever do it again is to lift the engine like Dodge says.Easy peasy.You will be done in an hour and it will make your beer taste good.

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer
You guys all gave me direction on that one,"the light went on" finally

netting one

Petty Officer 2nd Class
well hers how it went, i loosened the motor mount bolts,loosened the 2 mid mount bolts took the top nuts off the mounts hung the chain hoist from the tow motor forks got it close shoved the tool in and start moving stuff around and fine tuning. got it close let some pressure off the cable and fine tuned again. tighten every thing and the shaft moved in and out pretty good. got the outdrive and it slide right in!!! better then ever thanks to all

Bondo

Staff member
Alllllllllllllllrighty,.... I just Love a Happy endin',....