Mercruiser 3.0 Alpha 1 shift cable and cutout switch adjustment

torgeeezx5

Recruit
Hey All!! I'm newly registered but not new to the forums. I have a 1989 Dynasty Regency with a Mercruiser 3.0 and Alpha one. In the past month I've replaced the ignition cutout switch along with its wiring, exhaust bellows, and readjusted my shift cables(trying to sort out what previous owner did) The boat ran fine last season until the cutout switch shorted and took out some wiring but now it starts and runs very well although I haven't had it on the water yet.

SO, here's my question-is it best to do the final cable/cutout switch adjustment on the lake? I'm having fits trying to get that cutout switch adjusted and the clunks in and out of forward/reverse. Maybe it needs the resistance of the water? I'm sure this is probably a simple deal but haven't really been able to get a definitive answer. Also, I adjusted the cables to the specs I was able to find-3 1/8" on the cable from control and 6" on shift cable. THANKS!

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... Look in the Adults Only Section, found at the top of this forum, or in my signature for lower shift cable adjustments,....

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
If the shift interupter (shift cut-out) is working on land ,the lower cable is bad and no adjusting will fix it.Any clunking going into gear is normal , no adjusting can fix that either. The switch only works coming out of gear, in the water with a load on the prop.

Sosebee88

Cadet
just to pick at your guys' brains, I have adjusted, still need some fine tuning I believe, should the gears grind just slightly on gear engagement, not a clunk so much but the slight grind?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
If you are shifting properly and with a firm, quick hand then more of a clunk and not a grind. If shifting slowly ,then they will grind but shifting slowly does damage the gear dogs in the lower unit