1998 Alpha One Gen 2 Sterndrive oil leak after changing gear oil

Jerry22

Cadet
My sterndrive was fine last season. Never had a problem. I decided to be nice to it and change the gear oil before taking it out this year. I filled it from the bottom until it came out from the vent hole then I put the plugs back in and made sure the reservoir was full. I went to the lake and everything was fine until I got home and backed into the drive way. A few minutes later I noticed a silver dollar sized puddle of gear oil. Looking under the sterndrive I found gear oil dripping from the top of the gear shift linkage. I then lowered the drive and had a considerable amount of gear oil begin leaking from what looks like a weep hole on the side of the drive. I probably had 5 or 6 ounces leak out of the weep hole before it stopped.

Any ideas what seal or seals may be leaking?

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
Pressure test it and follow the noise. You have a near 20 year old unit. When is the last time seals were done?

Jerry22

Cadet
I purchased the boat a couple years ago and have not done the seals. Not sure what previous owner did.

Jerry22

Cadet
In a previous boat I had I replaced the impeller in an Alpha One. That wasn't too bad but I am a little concerned when I look at all the different seal kits available. Does anyone have a recommendation for the best seal kits to purchase if I wanted to replace most of the seals?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
A couple of things, if you forgot to put it in fwd removing it you cracked the plastic shift plate. Or you forgot the small O ring between the units oil passage

Jerry22

Cadet
Doctur, I have taken apart a sterndrive on a previous boat I owned, but I have never disassembled the sterndrive on my current boat. I have owned my current boat going on my third boating season and have never had a leak until now. Thanks for your help.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
If it didnt leak before you did work and now it leaks then you missed something in the assembly of the leak just happened. Most times on a GEN II its the driveshaft seal under the water pump

Jerry22

Cadet
Darn, I must be explaining this wrong. The leaking drive has not been worked on. I have never opened it up nor has a shop opened it up since I have owned it (I bought this boat 2 years ago). It has not leaked for the past two seasons then after simply changing the gear oil and going to the lake it started to leak.

wahlejim

So no disassembly of anything on the outdrive. You only removed 2 items, the 2 plugs for the gear oil, top and bottom. One of 2 things is happening here.

1) your seals coincidentally failed at the same time. It happens. Pressure test the drive to confirm.

2) There is a failure in your reservoir line that feeds the outdrive, probably by where it connects to your outdrive. If it wasn't full before and now it is, this could be the first time you noticed it. Inspect that as well.

wahlejim

Also, if you have owned the boat for 2 years and haven't pulled the outdrive, it is time for some maintenance that should be done yearly to prevent major issues in the future. Become familiar with removal and re-installation of the outdrive. There are plenty of youtube videos on the subject.

Puell the outdrive, inspect the u-joints, gimbal bearing, water lines and bellows. Grease u-joints and gimbal bearing. Replace impeller, etc.

Jerry22

Cadet
Thanks for everyones help. I did end up taking the outdrive apart and found the main drive shaft seals to be leaking. The gear oil then ran down the drive shaft and onto the water pump and finally ended up coming out of the weep holes and other areas. I have order new seals and will be putting it back together soon.

One other question. Some of the paint has chipped off on the inside where the gaskets and orings were touching. Do I need to repaint those areas or can I leave them after wire brushing and sanding?