Cannot go faster than 10 MPH, but runs fine in neutral.

alldodge

Staff member
So, replace, yes? Next, maybe this is why it's been slow since day one and previous owner overheated it, as the temp gauge was broke when I bought it :(

Yep, start by removing the boots going to the Y-pipe and have a look.

tpenfield

Staff member
I hate those stupid flappers . . . they last about 2 years and always seem to end up in fragments blocking the exhaust :rolleyes:

q7myfirstboat

Seaman
Yea, just took off both tubes... both are fried.... You know, I disconnected them earlier this week and felt around, suppose extra inch of taking off, I would have seen this. Looking at some diagrams to check all from risers to prop.

Hopefully this thread will benefit someone in the future... Thanks again, folks.

q7myfirstboat

Seaman
I have been googling for 30 minutes or so now.... No clear cut easy way to check further for pieces other than my childs arm......other suggestion?

Next, should I be concerned with them melting/overheating issues? If so, suggestions? I had temp gauge replaced before taking to the lake and have had 0 issues with overheating.

Bondo

Staff member
No clear cut easy way to check further for pieces other than my childs arm......other suggestion?

Ayuh,.... You can look down the y-pipe, 'n with the drive off, you can see forward to the bottom of the y-pipe,...

Next, should I be concerned with them melting/overheating issues?

When the impeller dies, the shutters are the 1st casualty, so keep a Good impeller in service,....

q7myfirstboat

Seaman
Plumber buddy going to let me borrow his **** camera :)

Assuming my WP has been fixed by previous owner since my temp always stays 175 or less.

Bondo

Staff member
Assuming my WP has been fixed by previous owner since my temp always stays 175 or less.

Ayuh,.... Never Assume, always Verify,....

q7myfirstboat

Seaman
Took off drive, exhaust all clear from top to bottom now... just that one piece, assuming the rest melted and discharged over time.

What a PITA the drive is for the first time.

I will pull WP, Compression test still to come before hitting lake.

q7myfirstboat

Seaman
Last Q and I'll give you guys a break.

While checking WP impeller....... is there anything else to check while trying to find the source of overheat? Recommend pulling risers and manifolds? If so, what exactly and I looking for other than cracks, buildup or corrosion?

roffey

Commander
You guys are past my expertise, lol, but my advice is don't inspect impeller just replace it. They are cheep and easy to change.

tpenfield

Staff member
You found some things in the exhaust that could have caused the issue. So, instead of taking the risers and manifolds apart at this time, it might be good to give it a lake test to see if the issue is resolved.

Taking apart the manifolds and risers is a PITA. If the joint looks to be in bad shape, that is another story. If they look good, then maybe it is time to head off to the lake, after you do the WP and compression test. Just my opinion . . .

q7myfirstboat

Seaman
Fair enough, took boots off and flash light at night into the risers and all that... looked good.

I'll do what's stated and go from there. Going hiking this weekend before it gets too hot here in GA, so, I'll update thread after my next lake stop.

q7myfirstboat

Seaman
No Title

Great news, see pictures below....for $17 bucks and piece of mind, I put in new plugs, too. WP next, then lake....hoping this thing will be like a new GF since it's been sluggish since day one.

1 - 155
3 - 145
5 - 150
7 - 151
2 - 145
4 - 145
6 - 150
8 - 155

So, if I still have issues, I can only think of the following: distributor, carb or fuel pump.....?

Attachments

• photo263796.jpg
    photo263796.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 1
  • photo263797.jpg
    photo263797.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

q7myfirstboat

Seaman
Got the flappers in today and it runs 10x better... as far as idle air screw....what do you guys do? I just did old school, idle around 700 (tach) and adjusting that and the one mixture screw until I found the highest idle. Crazy part, I bet I lowered idle screw by 300 rpms overall if that makes sense...... must have been crazy out of whack.

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
So, was it an exhaust restriction that was constraining the engine?

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
When you have the boat in the lake, bring the tools to adjust the idle. The idle will change on the lake compared to on muffs in the driveway.

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer
Once the engine is warmed up you need to tie up to a dock, put it in forward, then adjust your idle speed. You should use a shop tach but presuming the tach on the boat is "accurate" that will get you really close.
And while your on the water you'll probably want to tweak your idle jets again, , , and then possibly the idle speed again.

As for idle jet(s) once the engine is warmed up and running in neutral, turn each jet out until the engine starts to run rough (too rich), then turn each jet in until the engine starts to run rough again (running lean), then back jets out 1/2 way between rich and lean and your good. Adjust one jet at a time.

q7myfirstboat

Seaman
No Title

How the hell do you inspect impeller? From what I can see, it looks fine. pulled thermostat opened way before water boiled..... still just don't know what caused the overheat :(

sorry about the wrong photo :)))))

Attachments

• photo264171.jpg
    photo264171.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: