1991 Quicksilver Trim Switch replacement

BopsBuddy

Cadet
Last fall, the trim switch on my throttle stopped working. Well, just the trim up. Trailer and down work fine. Limits and selonoid tested so it's definitely the switch. I've searched everywhere and can't find how to remove the handle to access the wiring. The button for neutral doesn't expose a nut as I've seen on commander 3000. There is one screw on the back of throttle I can try to remove with offset screwdriver, but I'm stumped. Any idea? I can't find model number or any docs that show how to expose the switch. Local marina wants hundreds of dollars to replace and I just can't stomach the cost. Help?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
You have to remove the "throttle only" button in the handle first. And it can only be removed when it is pushed into the "throttle only" position. Once you push the button in and move the shifter into forward gear, then you can carefully pry the button out. Then remove the bolt - everything else is pretty self explanatory from there.

BopsBuddy

Cadet
Thank you for responding, however, as I said, mine is not like that. There is no bolt when you pull out the throttle only button. Tried that.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Those are the classic symptoms of a bad trim limit switch. Did you bypass the trim limit switch (at the connector in the stern) to test your control mounted switch?

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
If the throttle only button is square, there is a set screw on the bottom of the handle.

BopsBuddy

Cadet
No Title

It's like these 3 EXACTLY.

Attachments

• photo263594.JPG
    photo263594.JPG
    10.9 KB · Views: 10
  • photo263595.JPG
    photo263595.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 7
  • photo263596.JPG
    photo263596.JPG
    312.4 KB · Views: 10

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
For what it's worth - that's exactly what I described in my post. The button is tricky to get out as it has to be in the throttle only position before you can pop it out. Then there should be a bolt that you remove.

BopsBuddy

Cadet
Yes, the bolt is not immediately visible as it shows in the illustration. That's why I was confused... thank you for the info.

KYFlyboy

Recruit
Do you guys now how to pull the handle on a 1991 Marada ? I think I need to replace my trim switch and I can't figure out how to get it off either. It not like the ones you all are discussing tho My trim was working when I put the boat away in Oct. but now, nothing. No up or down. Suggestions ?. Thanks

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
It not like the ones you all are discussing tho. Thanks

So, start a topic asking about your Marada. Asking here in Bops topic about an entirely different setup is considered a hijack.