A Couple Questions

ralphy670

Petty Officer 1st Class
I remove my alpha one gen 2 drive every year. I only grease the splines that go into the coupler and have never used the zerks on the coupler. Is this OK or do the zerks grease more than the splines?

Also, when I reinstall the drive, I always seem to get a little bit of gear lube seep onto the gasket when the lube monitor fitting enters the housing. Are there any issues with the lube contacting the gasket?

Thanks for any replies

tpenfield

Staff member
1) the zerk greases the gimbal bearing itself, not the spines. Gimbal bearings like grease. :)

2) when installing the outdrive, you want to shove that last 3/4" of space home quickly because the gear lube fitting will begin seeping oil as soon as it makes contact with the mating fittings of the bell housing and outdrive. They don't have the benefit of the gasket seal until the outdrive is shoved all the way in.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
The zerks on the coupler are a pain to get at, but they're there for a reason. I hit those in the fall when I'm winterizing the motors. I'm working down there anyway, so it's a good time to get it done and off the spring to-do list.

My .02

alldodge

Staff member
I never have used the coupler zerks, mainly because to hard to get at and I also forget when the motor is out. I grease the splines, then use a long rod or stick and grease the coupler prior to reinstalling the drive

ralphy670

Petty Officer 1st Class
I never have used the coupler zerks, mainly because to hard to get at and I also forget when the motor is out. I grease the splines, then use a long rod or stick and grease the coupler prior to reinstalling the drive

When you say grease the coupler with a long stick, do you mean the splines inside the coupler or is there something else that requires grease on the coupler

alldodge

Staff member
When you say grease the coupler with a long stick, do you mean the splines inside the coupler or is there something else that requires grease on the coupler

Yes, the splines inside the coupler. I reach in thru the gimbal bearing to the splines

Edit: those zerks are great for a boat which doesn't come out of the water or ones which the drive doesn't come off every year

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
The zerks on the coupler are a pain to get at, but they're there for a reason. I hit those in the fall when I'm winterizing the motors. I'm working down there anyway, so it's a good time to get it done and off the spring to-do list.

My .02

All that says is your not doing the required maintenance by removing the drive for inspection

JoLin

Vice Admiral
All that says is your not doing the required maintenance by removing the drive for inspection

Incorrect assumption. I always remove and service the drives in the fall. I also grease the couplers. I'm putting the drives back on today.