Alpha one shift cable adjustment

Bud0994

Cadet
Just changed my bellows and gimbal bearing was wondering if anybody could tell me how to adjust my shift cable any help is appreciated thanks

alldodge

Staff member
Just changed my bellows and gimbal bearing was wondering if anybody could tell me how to adjust my shift cable any help is appreciated thanks

Howdy

Did you replace the lower shift cable and if so is the adjustment barrel on the cable been peened into position? Basically the barrel should be hard to turn on the cable

Bud0994

Cadet
No I didntdon't replace the cable and the barrel nut is in the same spot. But I did unscrew the linkage that the barrel nut is on. I just want to make sure everything is good to go

alldodge

Staff member
OK, and BT made a good point, if its an Alpha its not a Bravo anything. If its a Bravo 1, 2 or 3 adjustment is the same.
What does your cable end look like?

A or B.jpg

alldodge

Staff member
Well had to remove all my bravo stuff, looked at your post 7 and it said Bravo, then posted my stuff and now it shows Alpha.

Go to the top of this section or click the link in my sig for the adults only. Then select Mercruiser, then select lower shift cable adjustment

Bud0994

Cadet
Thanks alldodge. Sorry it has been a long day it is a alpha one. Well the shift cable seems to be pretty close it will go into forward just fine and when I put itthe in reverse it stalls the motor out and won't go into reverse all the way just clicks. Any ideas.

alldodge

Staff member
Was the drive shifting correctly before the boot replacement, and was the impeller changed?

Bud0994

Cadet
Yea it shifted fine before the replacement. No I didn't do the impeller. The only thing that i did on the out drive was u joints and fluid change

alldodge

Staff member
Well unless the shift foot was bent when reinstalling the drive, there should not be an issue.

The throttle was in forward when drive was removed and reinstalled? The prop was held counter clockwise, and shift foot facing forward while the drive was installed