Motor swap

blando

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Wonderin' the answer to yer question,....

Which flywheels are they, 12" or 14",..??
Each takes a different starter,...
Staggered bolts for the 14", 'n straight across for the 12",...

How much of the teeth are engagin',..??
Explain "Clunking",..??
What ain't turnin',..??

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Agreed, quite likely the problem,....

The battery oughta be showin' slightly over 12v, before ya hit the key,....
Clean the battery terminals with a wirebrush,...
Also clean the ground post, 'n the ground wire at the block,...

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Another good way to check battery connections and battery starting amps is put a voltmeter at the starter positive terminal and attach ground on a starter bolt. See what your voltage at the starter does when you crank it.

Last edited:

blando

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

thanks guys. are these 3 wires to be grounded. cant make out where they go.

Attachments

• photo262744.jpg
    photo262744.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 0

blando

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Im an idiot. the Main ground was hiding behind a hose and i never bolted it to the block...buuut im glad this happened bec i found a few minor issues and learned a couple things .

blando

Petty Officer 2nd Class
reverse gear drive is Volvo penta s reverse set up , from what i gather it has a clutch and gear set up rather than the Mercruiser style of reverse

blando

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Everything went pretty well today. Oil pressure seemed to drop( i believe it was normal then noticed it had dropped after about an hour on the water) to just above zero. The only reason i believed it was normal was bec i would have noticed it was low earlier , I didn't actually make a mental note though. , Starting with the gauge. Oil level is unchanged. No obvious oil leaks or oil in the bilge. No gas or water in the oil. The dip stick was out a couple of mm though.

blando

Petty Officer 2nd Class
and yes motor was chatterin. So ive got an issue. Oil pump maybe. Ill get a mechanical gauge and check it tomorrow.

blando

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just went and started it and my oil pressure is back to 40 at idle. Oil pressure up blood pressure down. still sounds chatty to me, but its in a hollow fiberglass enclosure

flipbro

Master Chief Petty Officer
It's normal 4 oil pressure to drop some on a warm engine. As I said u need 10 psi for every 1000rpm . So if your running 4800 rpm u should see 50 psi plus. 40 psi on a cold engine is OK . It should jump to about 60 when u bump the throttle up.

blando

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It's normal 4 oil pressure to drop some on a warm engine. As I said u need 10 psi for every 1000rpm . So if your running 4800 rpm u should see 50 psi plus. 40 psi on a cold engine is OK . It should jump to about 60 when u bump the throttle up.
the pressure went to almost zero on the lake then was back to 40 the next morning on muffs.

blando

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The SAGA continues. 40 PSI OIL on the muffs x2 and after on the lake for about 15 min pressure goes to 0 and the chattering starts. Any reason im holding pressure out of water on the muffs but after 15 min IN the water im loosing oil pressure???

flipbro

Master Chief Petty Officer
Hook up a mechanical Guage to verify. Sounds like worn bearings.

blando

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hook up a mechanical Guage to verify. Sounds like worn bearings.
ultimately i will put a mechanical gauge on it but im sure its loosing oil pr significantly due to in creased valve train noise.
Is it a common thing for this pattern ive described to happen with main bearings out of tolerance? Im aware this is one of the reasons for loosing pressure along with oil pump, sludge in oil filter, etc. Im trying to diagnose and possibly narrow down causes.

blando

Petty Officer 2nd Class
is it possible to loose this much pressure ( Or any ) due to the dipstick housing not having a tight fit?, ive got some evidence of slight oil mist around the area where the dipstick housing enters the block. There was some gasket sealer around it from previous owner. Before i installed it i cleaned it off, can see some play , can wiggle the housing slightly. edit : im reading i can possibly be sucking in air at this breach at the dipstick housing cinsert point without a tight seal? could this be the culprit?

Last edited: