3.0 liter remote drain hose

superfets

Petty Officer 2nd Class
As i'm reading threw some of the old threads I keep hearing about how awesome this remote drain hose setup is. Being new to this game I like to ask you this. Is there a kit available for this? Or is this a DIY thing? Does anybody have a link to good right up on how to do this? Seeing as i have my engine on a stand still now would be the time to get this set up if it truly is a good idea. It sure sounds good until all the oil accidentally drains out into the bottom of the boat.

Cheers and thanks. :thumb:

Alumarine

Captain
I do it both ways.
I use a vacuum pump on the dipstick tube.
Also last time I pulled my motor I installed an EZ Drain fitting with hose that I put through the transom drain.

Both work fine.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
I would not put it thru the transom because you need to pull the boat to change the oil. Best to tie it to the front of the motor

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I zip tied my remote hose to one of the engine mounts. since I trailer, maintenance was easy. either out the transom plug, or out the bottom plug with the hose.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi
If your engine is after a certain year (not sure what that is though...guessing late 90's or early 2000's. More learned guys will surely comment??) it may have the hose fitted already.
I have always used the out the dipstick method on all variants on the gm engines...mainly because I didn't have a choice. Up until recently I didn't have an engine that had the hose.
Now that I have the hose and after 2 years of ownership, I can tell you the following;
First year I took the oil out through the dipstick (not using the screw on pump on hose thread on dipstick, but with a pela extractor with thin hose that you can physically feel reaching the bottom of sump) and took about 4l out. I then put 4l back in and all was well.

This year, whilst having time on my hands with the poor weather, I decided to have a go at the hose out the drain plug. I initially had no idea I took out, because it was draining into a basin under the boat and it took about an hour. I was convinced I was doing the right thing by the engine and also that I had surely taken out more than before (even ran the engine beforehand to ensure all the particles and impurities were suspended). After all this...and the hassle of pushing it out the drain hole in first place...I refilled the oil to the correct level and replaced filter. I was surprised to see that she took exactly 4l as before !
Not sure is I'll be doing the latter again. The dipstick removal method (as long as you are getting to the bottom of the sump) seems to be near as dammit as effective.

bman440440

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm not sure on the 3.0 but my 4.3 circa 1996 has the "threaded" dipstick connector at the top and I know for fact it will drain all the oil out threw it... it connects to the very bottom of the pan... I have attached a pic of the bottom of the pan and the arrow shows where the dipstick tube connects to.
s-l500.jpg

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I'm not sure on the 3.0 but my 4.3 circa 1996 has the "threaded" dipstick connector at the top and I know for fact it will drain all the oil out threw it... it connects to the very bottom of the pan... I have attached a pic of the bottom of the pan and the arrow shows where the dipstick tube connects to.

Not sure I understand that. The dipstick tube surely has to be vertical ? Unless I'm being daft ?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
The dipstick tube on marine motors goes to the bottom of the oil pan

bman440440

Petty Officer 1st Class
The dipstick tube on marine motors goes to the bottom of the oil pan

that is the bottom of the pan
Not sure I understand that. The dipstick tube surely has to be vertical ? Unless I'm being daft ?
no it install in the side on bottom of pan... see attached pic.. it's of the stamped oil pan mine in cast aluminum (in prior pic)

Surely that's the sump plug ?

that is where the dipstick is installed into
14296.gif

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
The 3.0 , 4.3, 5.0, 5.7 have a dipstick that goes thru the block to the bottom of the pan, the 3.7 has a dipstick thru the side of the oil pan.

bman440440

Petty Officer 1st Class
The 3.0 , 4.3, 5.0, 5.7 have a dipstick that goes thru the block to the bottom of the pan, the 3.7 has a dipstick thru the side of the oil pan.

incorrect on the 4.3's... they go to the bottom port side of pan... can you see the pic I posted prior? can you see that they connect to the bottom of pan... yes the block has a provision for a threw block dipstick but it is blocked off with a brass cap by mercruiser... I have attached a pic showing the routing of the dipstick going down the port side and under the port side of engine where it connects to the pan... as you well know that the factory dipstick provision on a chevy 4.3 is on the starboard side. 09051617301.jpg

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Fair play Bman. I understand looking at the drawings now....although I didn't think these engines had ally sumps.
That would explain my post earlier in the thread about taking the same amount out dipstick and hose.
I was almost positive my dipstick on the old 4.3 VP went in the side of the block, like BT said.