Trim problem

mattfire78

Recruit
Hello. I had a question about the trim on my Alpha One (Gen II). I am doing some maintenance on it and had lowered my outdrive to change the gear lube. When I went to raise it back up, it would only go up half way, then the trim would shut down. I could lower it with no problem, but it would keep stopping at the same point when raising back up. With the boat still shut off, I put it into gear and then it would raise up fully again. Any ideas why it won't raise up fully when not in neutral?
Thanks!

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Gear shift should have no effect. The stopping can be the limit switch kicking in, from that point you need the trailer function to raise it the rest of the way

mattfire78

Recruit
Gear shift should have no effect. The stopping can be the limit switch kicking in, from that point you need the trailer function to raise it the rest of the way
Mine doesn't have the trailer function. I have no idea why it works when in gear, but I tried it both ways several times. Worked everytime when in gear and never worked when in neutral.

thumpar

Admiral
Something is not right with the wiring. The gear shift has nothing to do with anything the trim is doing. There is a down that always works, trim up that only works until the limit switch overrides it and then the trailer up that works all the time. Some look and function differently at the buttons but all have the same connections. My old boat had 2 switches. Both had down that did the same thing. The up on the gear shift had the limit on it and the up on the mounting panel switch was trailer. On my current boat the switch at the top of the gear shifter does down and the up is limited with an extra button about half way down for trailer. There are some I have seen that have to push trim up and an extra button to trailer.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
you should have a trailer function. Especially with a newer gen II. Never seen one without.