Is my new trim sender faulty? 1999 Mercruiser Alpha One

sseckar

Recruit
Hello and thanks for any advice. I just replace the trim sender on my 1999 Mercuiser Alpha One. When I loosen the screws to adjust the sender per instructions, the gauge reading will flip from FULL UP to FULL DOWN immediately at a certain point in the senders rotation. Trim works fine, just like having the gauge working. I'm not sure why the gauge (or signal from sender) does not change gradually, but goes immediately all the way in one direction or the other. Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Steve

alldodge

Staff member
Hello and thanks for any advice. I just replace the trim sender on my 1999 Mercuiser Alpha One. When I loosen the screws to adjust the sender per instructions, the gauge reading will flip from FULL UP to FULL DOWN immediately at a certain point in the senders rotation. Trim works fine, just like having the gauge working. I'm not sure why the gauge (or signal from sender) does not change gradually, but goes immediately all the way in one direction or the other. Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Steve

Howdy Steve

My first thought is you bought a Sierra trim sender. if that is correct, then that would be my guess of your problem. Another possibility is maybe you mixed up the trim limit with the trim sender. Does the limit work correctly?

sseckar

Recruit
Hey AllDodge - I bought genuine Mercruiser parts - not Sierra. Trim limit works fine, so didn't replace that one. Replaced just the sender (and I didn't mix them up :)). Any other thoughts?

alldodge

Staff member
The gauge is a pretty simple set up, power to the gauge, then to sender, and then other side of sender goes to ground.

The sender will have a mark on the back side of it for alignment. Could be your way off from this point and there is no connection, then when moved a bit further it grounds out (full up). Rotate it some more, it may be off

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
UntitledNS_zpsnezpqvvs.jpg

sseckar

Recruit
AllDodge - you had it correct. Thanks. When I originally installed, I couldn't fully trim down with the boat trailered. My "guesstimation" of how to adjust for the index marks lining up wasn't very good. I jacked up the trailer to fully trim down the drive, then put the sender on again with the index marks lined up and everything is fine. Thanks for the help!