Boat Pick Up

Thomv

Petty Officer 1st Class
Before purchasing a boat out west I am having the motor started using the muffs, to make sure it runs. This motor, a 496, in a 2006 boat, has been winterized. I know it also has a 1/2 closed cooling system but the exhaust and risers are raw water cooled. Because of having the motor started it will no longer be winterized. This boat should be transported to Florida in the next week. Will I be risking damaging the motor during that travel period of time because of any residual water still in the exhaust and risers if my shipper experiences any below freezing weather? I am sure there are some valves that could be opened to drain off this residual water but I can't be sure that will take place.

alldodge

Staff member
Short answer is yes, if the water is not drained and it gets cold enough for long enough something will break. You can look at the route and what temps will be during transport days, but we all know weather will change. May want to pay a tad more and have it winterized if in doubt

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
where is it coming from? currently its 80 degrees in Largo Florida, however it was 61 this morning.

most of the US appears to be above freezing, https://weather.com/maps/ustemperaturemap

so as AD stated, pay a bit to winterize it (draining the manifolds/risers and raw water pump) or check the route.

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
Coming from Washington state, I would have it winterized. It could get cold during the nighttime.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Your shipping a boat from the upper left corner of the country to the lower right?

superfets

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What, couldn't find what you wanted in Alaska? :thumb:

That's a long way from home. After the spending that much on shipping I would winterize just for the peace of mind. I bought my replacement motor 2 weeks ago and it was only 5 hours away in Minnesota. I had it winterized for that trip in the back of my truck.

Bondo

Staff member
Because of having the motor started it will no longer be winterized. This boat should be transported to Florida in the next week. Will I be risking damaging the motor during that travel period of time because of any residual water still in the exhaust and risers if my shipper experiences any below freezing weather? I am sure there are some valves that could be opened to drain off this residual water but I can't be sure that will take place.

Ayuh,..... You should Insist, that the raw water is Drained,.....

Not just the exhaust, but also the raw water pump, 'n the heat exchanger,....

Odds are it'll not see any freezin' temps, but if not drained, 'n it Does see freezin' temps, yer gonna be lookin' at $1,000s in repairs,....