1985 Meecruiser MCM 140 rebuild

Kdreese89

Seaman Apprentice
Ok I am getting ready to tackle the engine and these are my options so far:

1) buy the rebuild kit for $470, do my own work, take it to a machine shop for boring, honing, and too end work.

2) I have a ball park estimate for a rebuild at $1500.

3) Reman engine from a leading reman for $2900 plus ($1800 core w/ full refund or 50% if block is cracked), I could have it here this Thursday

4) put a different engine in (with new mounts) that is reman for $1500 plus all the rework for mounts

I am fairly mechanically incline but never done an engine rebuild. It is boating season here now but will last into October so no huge rush.

I'd like some weigh in from the peanut gallery please.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
complete valve job, boring, honing, hot-tanking, grinding the crank etc will set you back about 600ish

does your kit come with new rods, if not, reconditioning the rods will be another $150ish

are you replacing the manifold and risers?

I myself would find another pre 1991 3.0 long block from a rotten boat, swap over what is needed and drop it in. or a complete bob-tail after 1991

alldodge

Staff member
3) Reman engine from a leading reman for $2900 plus ($1800 core w/ full refund or 50% if block is cracked), I could have it here this Thursday

I wouldn't go with this place no matter what the price.

I would look into rebuild your self or do as Scott mentioned

Rick Stephens

Admiral
The complete drop in out of a donor boat is attractive. That is how I swapped in a 4.3L for my 3.0. In the end, even with rebuilding the new motor, it cost near nothing after selling everything off the old power train.

Rebuilding your original motor is not difficult. I'd expect it to cost under $1500 if the head and block are good.