Reusing bellhousing gasket

Slice of Life

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Installed my SE116 yesterday and torqued the nuts after completing an impeller replacement, and after putting oil back into the outdrive I noticed that the shifting boot was not aligned with the shifting (rod?) that's supposed to align inside the boot to shift properly. I removed the drive again to correct this, and was able to only have to remove it a couple inches to align the boot in and then push the drive back in. My question is this...in the few minutes that the drive was off with the new bellhousing gasket, is the gasket now already ruined? Is it absolutely necessary to buy a whole new gasket, remove the drive and install said gasket again after the drive being off for only a few minutes? Thanks.

alldodge

Staff member
Opinion: If the gasket didn't tear, then I would reuse it.

Other opinions may differ and if so will be along shortly :D

Scott06

Vice Admiral
That was don't over think it... freakin auto correct. I assume if your drive is on the engine swap is comp,etc?

wrench 3

Commander
The way I read it, You had the drive bolted up tight to the bell housing with the slipper not aligned with the foot? I'd be more worried about something being bent.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Ok... By the book. Any gasket, once load has been applied, needs to be replace if the parts are disassembled...
Now, the real world... If the gasket is still in good condition, reuse it without drama.... :)

Chris.......