Bellow Replacement

Chevy_Mike

Cadet
So I called my local boat repair shop and they quoted me about $900 parts included to replace my bellows. The thing is however, he told me it'll take about a month turn around that they'll need the boat. I take it that it can't be more than what an 8 hour job for someone who knows what they're doing and has the right tools. Does that seem kind of a long time? Or is that normal and a fair price?

So from what I read is theres 3 bellows. U Joint, Shifter and Exhaust. So I looked over all of mine and the upper big one and the shifter seem fine, they don't seem warn out all. However the longest one which I believe is the exhaust looks like this. Can I get by with just replacing this one without removing the outdrive?

I'm an automotive tech so I'm very mechanically inclined, have plenty of hand tools etc. I know I can remove the outdrive and do the job myself if I absolutely have to. I see people who bring there cars in all the time trying to save money and do things themselves and end up making it worse. working on the 5.0 inside the boat is no problem, just the outdrive I'm not familiar working with, so I'd rather not remove it if I can help it. The $900 I don't have an issue with, its the month long turn around. I'd like to go out in the next few weeks and I still have to replace the backing plates all the way around, (One of the wheel cylinders is leaking) so I'm just going to replace them anyway since the trailer is an 01 and repack the bearings etc. So theres stuff I can be doing to the boat instead of it just sitting in the yard over there.

So going back to my main question. Can I replace that 1 bellow without removing the outdrive, or is it something that needs to be removed no matter what?

I attached a couple of pictures to verify what i'm talking about.

Thanks!

-Mike

Attachments

• Bellow.jpg
    Bellow.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 0
  • bellow1.jpg
    bellow1.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
dont even think about it. change them. and the water pump if you havent changed it lately

as an automotive tech you should be able to jump into anything and figure it out.

there are instructions and vids here on iboats

there are you-tube videos that even the most inept people can follow, pretty sure you can to.

the alignment tools and bellows tools are available as a kit on ebay for $110

the bellows kit with a new gimble bearing is about $170

the impeller kit is about $40

about half hour or less to remove the drive (Achris does it in under 3 minutes)
about 15 minutes to get the old bellows off and to inspect
about 45 minutes to r&r the gimble bearing
about 1/2 hour to check/adjust alignment
about 45 minutes to get the new bellows on
about 1 hour to split the outdrive and replace the raw water pump
about 30 minutes to put the outdrive back on and attach the bellows

regarding your wheel cylinders, etc. a complete new loaded backing plate (wheel cylinders, brakes,etc) is actually less than a set of shoes and about the same as just a wheel cylinder

Bondo

Staff member
I'm an automotive tech so I'm very mechanically inclined, have plenty of hand tools etc.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Whatcha waitin' for,...??....

Yer a Mechanic,.... this job might be a 9 for a 1st timer, a 6 after ya been there before,.....

Chevy_Mike

Cadet
Thanks guys. Yes I ordered the complete backing plates for both axles. The wheel cylinders were about $20 a pop, but I was able to get complete backing plates for about $107 an axle x2. The master cylinder had a lot of rust, I found that as well for $55 but for $152 i could get the complete actuator, mine looks pretty beat up so for about $375 shipped I was able to get backing plates for all for hubs, a new actuator and backing plate hardware. I had talked to the a boat shop down the street and the service advisor told me about $1600! That was only to replace the backing plates on both axles, repack the bearings, replace the actuator and to bleed the system. And he told me they would need it for a couple of weeks. If I didn't have the ability or tools it would probably be worth it. But its all a no brainer so I figure i'll just knock that out on a Sunday I have off.

See thats why I couldn't figure out why they would possibly need a month other than to have the boat ready to go whenever they feel like working out. I mean shoot, I can do engine replacements in a 2 day turnaround for a used engine, and 4 days for a rebuilt, and the 4 days is two days at the machine shop being rebuilt. So I don't see how replacing bellows could possibly be anymore time consuming than an engine!

Thanks guys I'll probably order up a manual watch some vids and try to knock it out one weekend. Tried to find the manual on here but couldn't seem to come across it Its the 2001 Mercruiser with Alpha One outdrive.

Bondo

Staff member
Thanks guys I'll probably order up a manual watch some vids and try to knock it out one weekend. Tried to find the manual on here but couldn't seem to come across it Its the 2001 Mercruiser with Alpha One outdrive.

Ayuh,.... Click on the link in my signature title Don'S Adults Only Section,....

'n follow the links to the videos, 'n manuals,...