Shims on pulley?

Triple502

Seaman
I am in the process of putting my motor back together. When I removed the pulleys, 3 pieces of rubber came from behind it (the main pulley). When I got the engine back together I noticed that the circulating pump pulley and the main pulley are out about 1/8-1/4 of an inch. Does anyone know what those rubber things were or can I just shim it out using stainless washers. I searched the forums and didn't see anything on this. Thanks!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
By main pulley, I assume you mean the harmonic balancer or crankshaft pulley. If so, replace it.

When the rest of the rubber comes out there is no telling how much damage will be done when it flies around under the doghouse. The fact that it isn't aligned means it beginning the Walk of Shame off the pulley hub. No fixing, only replacing.

wrench 3

Commander
By main pulley, I assume you mean the harmonic balancer or crankshaft pulley. If so, replace it.

When the rest of the rubber comes out there is no telling how much damage will be done when it flies around under the doghouse. The fact that it isn't aligned means it beginning the Walk of Shame off the pulley hub. No fixing, only replacing.

The pulley will be bolted to the center hub not to the balancer ring. Even if the rubber is shot it wouldn't change the alignment of the pulleys.

How does the alternator line up. Is it possible that the hub on the water pump is off.

GA_Boater

Triple - What are you working on?

We're guessing by not knowing.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
need pics.

if its the damper and the rubber is coming apart, get a new damper

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
am in the process of putting my motor back together.

If you had the harmonic balancer off during the build, you didnt install fully or you have the wrong circ pump on the engine.
If a V6 orV8 most likely the wrong pump. tin timing cover vs a plastic timing cover

Triple502

Seaman
Sorry, should have been more clear. It's a new 5.7 long block and the harmonic balancer came installed. Upon further inspection I found the old rubber on the old motor so no need to replace. I re-checked the alignment once I got the bracket for the P/S pump on and it looks perfect now. Sorry for the confusion but this is my first attempt at replacing a motor and want to be re-assured on every component. That's why I love this site, everyone willing to throw their knowledge in.

GA_Boater

Thanks for clearing that up, Triple.

Almost time to go boating. :fish2: