Does the Fuel line have a washer/gasket?? Leaking !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

km1125

Chief Petty Officer
Well, that's good to hear, BUT....

If it was me, I'd get the appropriate parts and fix it right. With that washer in there, you now have less threads holding it tight in place, and you KNOW that there was some thread damage. How much vibration will it take before it might come loose a bit, and your fuel pump is squirting some gas on that engine while it still runs?? How long before you MIGHT notice it???. There are millions of engines that don't leak when done right.

On a hotrod, when you have a fuel leak, it smells and you can usually tell at the first stoplight (ask me how I know!) ...not so much in a boat, you will not know until it's way too late!

ilove2fixx

Chief Petty Officer
Well, that's good to hear, BUT....

If it was me, I'd get the appropriate parts and fix it right. With that washer in there, you now have less threads holding it tight in place, and you KNOW that there was some thread damage. How much vibration will it take before it might come loose a bit, and your fuel pump is squirting some gas on that engine while it still runs?? How long before you MIGHT notice it???. There are millions of engines that don't leak when done right.

On a hotrod, when you have a fuel leak, it smells and you can usually tell at the first stoplight (ask me how I know!) ...not so much in a boat, you will not know until it's way too late!

That's true , but threads are good they looked at all the parts and they all said they look good.. maybe flare just got deformed a little..
i have tested it and not one drop.. for extra protection I'll
put a metal clamp behind the brass nut so it will not move at all..

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
There should be NO gasket on the flare. Flares do wear out from removing and replacing the filter, and being tightened over and over again. Replace the brass, and the line is the only proper fix. I sure would not want to be out in the middle of the lake and have a failure. Would you use a gasket on the brakelines?? Same flare, so I suppose its ok.....?

ilove2fixx

Chief Petty Officer
The guy would of told me if it's bad idea.. he does build engines for a living , he has a huge shop with 10 garages and like 10 workers.. I think he knows his stuff .. he also says he does the same thing for break lines to.. I think it's fine .. I checked the brass nut it goes in almost the same amount as it did without the washer

ive ran the engine for about 20 minutes not one drop.. also I'll put a Metal screw down clamp behind the brass nut on the line .. and that will ensure the nut never moves even a Milimeter

Last edited:

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Well alright then. I personally would not do it that way, Never even considered doing it to anything like that, if it's wore out I just replace it and will continue to do so. Safety for my passengers and customers are the important part.

km1125

Chief Petty Officer
Well, your boat and your rules I guess. Just hope you're not docked next to mine. For others: "Don't try this at home"!

The guy would of told me if it's bad idea.. he does build engines for a living , he has a huge shop with 10 garages and like 10 workers.. I think he knows his stuff .. he also says he does the same thing for break lines to.. I think it's fine .. I checked the brass nut it goes in almost the same amount as it did without the washer
Again, a CAR is much different than a BOAT. When you have a gas leak on a car, the worst thing that happens if you don't notice a leak that they just burn to the ground while you sit there on the shoulder and watch. They do not have enclosed compartments to collect fumes, so they can even leak a pretty good stream of gas right on the engine without being much of an issue (lots of cars have that problem and they're still driving around every day!)

The fact that he would even ADMIT to doing something like that on a brake like is --very-- scary. (OH, and don't buy a starter or alternator for you boat from this guy!)

I checked the brass nut it goes in almost the same amount as it did without the washer
Yea.. that's part of the problem... you KNOW it wasn't going in all the way because it could not tighten the flare in the first place (just from your picture it was obvious to me). Therefore, there are LESS THREADS THAN DESIGNED holding that thing in place. On top of that, you know they've been compromised! Engineered systems ALWAYS have a safety margin built in. What you're doing is eliminating a portion of that, so who knows what could happen!

ive ran the engine for about 20 minutes not one drop.. also I'll put a Metal screw down clamp behind the brass nut on the line .. and that will ensure the nut never moves even a Milimeter
That nut may never move if the threads give way but it will still leak.

ilove2fixx

Chief Petty Officer
Ive counted the threads and there 7 without the washer and with it.. so ?? Should be good .. I've ran her already many times and no leak or movement.. but I appreciate your input and your caring about this matter.. I'll tell the new Owner to keep an eye on it.. I've just had enough with this boat .. I've fixed like 20 things on her already lol..

Again thanks guys for all your help and input ..

Status
Not open for further replies.