Neutral safety switch on 5.7 LX

AKJohne

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1996/97 5.7 LX with AI GENII.
I bought this package used to install in a Glasply I have been redoing.

I could use some help sorting out a neutral safety switch, the prior boat that this motor came out of had a single handle binnacle.

I will be using a sea dog 2 handle binnacle that has no provision for mounting or attaching a neutral safety switch.

On the SB riser I have a PLT22 shift plate, it has the shift interrupt switch (87-808009T10) in the normal location. However there is a spot on the plate for a second switch, according to what I have found this is called a gear indicator switch (87-808009T11).
Do you guys know if the gear indicator switch is a N/O or N/C switch........?
The shift interrupt switch is normally open and I need a normally closed switch, I will use this to break the yellow/red switch to the starter solenoid.

Or is there a better way to do this?

FYI, I will be removing the shift assist cylinder

Thanks, John

Last edited by a moderator:

Fun Times

Staff member
Do you guys know if the gear indicator switch is a N/O or N/C switch........?
The shift interrupt switch is normally open
Hi, welcome to iboats!

The gear indicator switch merc part number 808009A10 is mentioned within a service manual to be normally closed at rest along with the newer designed shift interrupt switch assembly part number 808009A11.

Possibly another way of finding a matching switch would be trying to locate your designed shifter in the following link and locate a neutral safety switch within the parts diagram. http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/8457.cfm

Hope this helps, good luck.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Does the larger end of the arm activate the additional switch? If yes it should work IF its a NC switch at rest and the arm creates a NO circuit in gear.

AKJohne

Petty Officer 1st Class
If its a NC switch it should work, it interfaces with part #11 in the diagram, which has a relief when in neutral. However it has a ramp then relief on both sides. I haven't set the motor back in the boat yet, all the parts are on the bench and I am just trying to plan ahead so I have what I need when going together..... Its only been 4.5 years since we started.

I assume Merc did this at the binnacle... and they made a bunch of binnacles

Before

After, not the most recent pic as this was taken at the start of winter