Alignment tool stuck in gimbal help please!

Lvcrxrcr

Recruit
After a full day of removing the outdrive, boots,gimbal bearing, pulling in new trim senders I went to put in my new gimbal bearing. I used an alignment tool that came with an install tool. Basically you are supposed to drill a hole in the alignment tool to attach the gimbal install tool. Being late, I decided to put the alignment tool on without the boolt and hole and used a pipe over the alignment tool to pound the bearing in.

Now my problem is that the alignment tool won't come out. I've tried tapping the alignment tool sideways on all sides but it is really stuck in there. I am wondering if the gimbal jammed up with the alignment tool and I unintentionally was pounding the alignment tool into the spline.

What should I do to get it out? Is there anything likely damaged?

The engine was in perfect alignment before pulling the old bearing.

alldodge

Staff member
The engine was in perfect alignment before pulling the old bearing.

The old bearing probably had some play in it and this allowed the tool to go in/out easy. In any case need to put something one it so you can use something like a slide hammer. Maybe two pairs of vise grips on the shaft. Wrap a chain around the shaft behind the grips. Use something with some weight on the other end of the chain and hammer it away.

JerryIrons

Petty Officer 2nd Class
When I changed my gimbal bearing for the first time, I was surprised at just how stiff the new bearing is. Are you tapping it, or whacking it?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
can you post a pic of this tool.or what you did use because your install sounds funky. The only way you can install it is by using the tolerance ring and NOT the bearing itself

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
I guess you know why there is supposed to be a bolt to hold on the installation tool. Can you see the end of the tool from inside the engine compartment back behind the engine? You might be able to get some leverage there and force the tool / alignment bar out.