Burning ham smell today

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Guys

Totally puzzled this evening.
I threw the boat in the water this afternoon after a semi service (weather was too good not to).
Oil and filter changed, gear oil changed.
Boat ran without fault all day, but on the way home there was what can only be described as a cooked roast ham smell coming from around the dash/helm position.
Defo not from the engine bay, exhaust or drive. Defo not an outside influence either. 100% strong from the helm, but nowhere in particular in that area.
It wasn't rubbery or electrical. Just literally like cooked ham joint roast.
Totally perplexed!
Any ideas ? Smell remained for a few hours after engine was down and battery off.
Am I missing something daft ? If there chap with he boat in front of me wasn't staying on his boat and keeping an eye on it....I'd be sleeping on it tonight. That now worried I was.

Last edited by a moderator:

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Haha BT Doctur...actually had an out loud chuckle there.
In all seriousness, I can actually still smell it off my clothes...and no, it wasn't any cooking or pubs I had been in previously.
Funnily enough, on a similar note...when I first started the boat on the flushing muffs, a whole load of moss, sticks and grass flew out the Corsa side exit exhaust on the port side. Turns out a wee bird was building a nest in there. Almost felt bad !

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Might smell like a ham roast to you but it could be droppings from an animal in there

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer
I bet it is a critter of some type. Are you able to look under the dash and see if anything was there?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well make sure you don't run it too far because you can over cook Ham and then it taste crappy. :pound:

Just kidding. But there has to be a reason and you haven't found out what that reason is yet. JMHO

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Get some rye bread,potato salad,pork and beans and mustard and call it a day.BTW make sure the potato salad is made with Hellmans mayo

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Haha. All very funny. Did make me hungry though !
I managed to figure it out yesterday.
It is one of the docking lights. The smell was actually coming from underneath the bow cover area upon further investigation. Just I was smelling it when at the helm and nowhere else.
Just need to figure out how to remove them or open them up now.
Can only assume it was the rubber surrounding the bulb lens. Definitely coming from there though.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Haha. All very funny. Did make me hungry though !
I managed to figure it out yesterday.
It is one of the docking lights. The smell was actually coming from underneath the bow cover area upon further investigation. Just I was smelling it when at the helm and nowhere else.
Just need to figure out how to remove them or open them up now.
Can only assume it was the rubber surrounding the bulb lens. Definitely coming from there though.

They didn't use pork skins for those gaskets did they. :pound:

Seriously, glad you located the problem. Make sure you report your fix and what you did find with them.