Water in Shift Cables

maddog49

Cadet
Hi Everyone,
Thanks for your help this forum is very valuable to someone who is newer to boats and maintenance on them. Recently I replaced the following on a 07 merc 3.0 and alpha 1 gen 2 outdrive:

Water Impeller
All Bellows
Shift cable/boot
Gear oil
Gimbal bearing and seals (also checked alignment etc)
All gaskets/orings etc done with merc parts and complete replacement

I must have done something incorrectly with the shift cables as when I run it on muffs in the driveway I'm getting water leaking out the shift cables (shifting itself is fine). I'm also getting water out of the vent holes (which seems normal), but also a bit of fresh gear oil. This only occurs when running. Normally the boat/bilge are completely dry and this is the only place it's leaking from. No apparent problems with seals or oil in any prior use either.

I've attached a video of it leaking.

Here's a video of the drive running on muffs and showing the vent holes (no grease visible):
https://youtu.be/YboowjmR9-Q

So far I've heard that it might be the main gasket, or the oring between the outdrive and gimbal housing. I wish I did not have to tear it all apart again but I want it working perfect (like it was when I replaced everything from the prior owner of 10 years, looked fine but its all rubber).

Any other ideas or things I should be reviewing?
Thanks,
Eric

maddog49

Cadet
OK that does seem to be the consensus. I'll make that the first thing I check. Would that be at all related to the gear oil coming out of the vent holes?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
no, you had to install a small O ring between the units or the seal under the water pump is leaking or the upper driveshaft seals are leaking

wrench 3

Commander
Since there's no oil with the water in the video, could it have been oil from disassembly that washed out when you started it up.
Have you pressure tested it?

maddog49

Cadet
The other night I built myself a portable stand that can roll around. Works great so far.

20170330_222225.jpg
As you can see from the second picture the water inlet O-ring was completely missing just like you said it would be. Cleaned off all the old material. I'm waiting on the replacement to show up tomorrow so I can get it all back together and test again. I also saw you're supposed to use gasket sealer on the U drive ring and the water inlet o-ring so I will be adding that this time too.

20170330_205303.jpg

Attachments

• 20170330_205303.jpg
    20170330_205303.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 0

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
bellows adhesive, contact cement, 3M weathersrtip adhesive on the big rubber ring can also be used for the water inlet

wrench 3

Commander
I also saw you're supposed to use gasket sealer on the U drive ring and the water inlet o-ring so I will be adding that this time too.

You're not trying to seal them, just using enough to keep them in place while assembling.

maddog49

Cadet
You're not trying to seal them, just using enough to keep them in place while assembling.

I appreciate the clarification. I should have been more clear. I used a bit of bellows adhesive to keep that water inlet and upper ring in place. Worked great. No more leaks in the cables, and no more gear oil (I think that was incidental and extra when we made a mess taking off the gimbal housing and changing bellows because a bit came out and then never any more. Drained the oil today and still looked new too).

I will be keeping a close eye on it and see if anymore problems pop up. Ad always you guys are great! Hope I get such spot on advice about my rough idle restart next :)