08 Merc water distribution housing cracked

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjag

Recruit
Hi - i just bought a 2008 Maxum 2700SE with a 350MAG SeaCore engine (glycol cooled). During the mechanical inspection it was noted that the Water Distribution Housing was cracked where the blue plug threads in. Long story short - the boat was delivered to me with the new part in a box. I'd like to install it myself and I'm just wondering if I need to drain anything before unclamping hoses, etc. If so, what should I be opening to drain this; just the blue plug or? Is there anything else to be opened to allow venting for faster draining? Will I be draining glycol or is this on the sea water side? Please respond if you need any clarification from me. Thanks!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the problem is if you live in an area that freezes, that quick drain feature quits working properly and the motor will suffer if water is left in areas due to a clogged fitting which happens often

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Install it but first remove the hoses at the block and probe the holes. If you do find them plugged closed a word to the wise
"Remove that system" and install winged drains or 1/4 inch pipe plugs. Do the same for the manifolds , remove that fitting and install the ones with winged drain plugs.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Did a long block swap on a motor with that system on it last summer,...

I was gonna strip all that crap off, 'n toss it,...
Then my bud, Bob, remindered me that the barge was bein' Sold, 'n I'd never have to see it again,....
Found a used piece at one of Bob's bud's, 'n sent the whole thing down the river,...
1 less Hi-Liner in the fleet,....

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Guys, it's close cooled. With the right level of AF in the system he only needs to drain the sea water side of life.

Chris...........

Im Lon 2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I used bronze parts but copper pipe can also be used and soldered together
DSCN3728_zpslnixvo90.jpg

DSCN3729_zpscyuamd93.jpg

DSCN3512_zpsqlht4zds.jpg

DSCN3513_zpsqr7m61fd.jpg

DSCN3511_zpspkpgrehy.jpg

DSCN3730_zpscycdmdeq.jpg

DSCN3731_zpsbvaqmvtg.jpg

is there a link to these pictures that are not stored in PB?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Sort of , transferring the pics to my docs ,please stand by

Im Lon 2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Interesting, you even added a plug for draining. Is that the part you can send?

So with this setup you completely bypass the quick drain knob?

If I go without the drain plug at the bottom do I just undo the hoses for it to drain when winterizing?

What size pipe did you use?

By chance do you have a picture of what it looks like installed?

Thanks again for your help

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
I can get a installed pic in a day or two.The button is tinned copper and is tapped for 1/8 pipe plug It gets solderd/brazed on. Size is 1 1/4 or 1 1/8 copper copper T with the reducer size of 1 inch , a street elbow sliped into the T to reduce the size for the hose, ans 3-4 inches of 1 inch copper ,nothing exotic

If I go without the drain plug at the bottom do I just undo the hoses for it to drain when winterizing?
You can ,but I prefer a drain plug

While your in there get rid of the "quick crack" drain system too

Last edited:

Im Lon 2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Okay I went to my hardware store and since I'm not a fan of sweating and pressing my luck that something didn't take after I put this all back together and have to yank it back out I picked up some brass fittings. I changed it up a little and instead using an elbow I'm going to use a Tee and put a valve on the end to drain the system. It cost me a little extra but should work the same. Wouldn't you think?

Also on the ends where the hoses connect are the 1" and 3/4" pipe smooth? I wasn't sure if it need a lip so the hoses don't pop off under pressure even those they are clamped.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
The 1 inch line goes to the risers and they have no pressure on them , so the hoses were just clamped to the 1 inch copper My 1st attempt with bronze fittings . Worked but the short hose from the cool fuel had to be modified

mikeporter2000

Recruit
Hi, I know this is a really old topic, but I had the same problem on my 5.7L MPI 315hp Mercruiser. I would like to try and replace the water distribution housing with a custom solution described here. Can anyone post a picture?

Status
Not open for further replies.