Rochester Quadrajet carburator rebuild

dlogvine

Master Chief Petty Officer
I just bought a replacement carburator for my 1992 Mercruiser 4.3 v6. It is Rochester quadrajet carb, but when I tried to find a kit to rebuild it, I could not find any number ID on this carb. It is Rochester 4MV 4BBL carburator but I'm not sure if all these carburators use the same kit or I should be more specific. Also a vacuum break control assembly was either broken when I got the part or its cap just fall off and could be reattached. I made a couple pics of the carburator.
The questions I have are:
1. What is the part number for this carburator or what rebuild kit should I use.
2. Should I buy another vacuum break control assembly or try to reattach the cap on a current one?
Thx

Attachments

• photo261205.jpg
    photo261205.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo261206.jpg
    photo261206.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo261207.jpg
    photo261207.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 0
  • photo261208.jpg
    photo261208.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 0

dlogvine

Got the serial number, was painted over, 17080561 0573

Bondo

Staff member
I wonder if any of them have a fuel inlet filter?

Ayuh,... That little filter, either as a screen, or in sintered bronze is available separately, from any auto parts store,....

alldodge

Staff member
Thx Chris, I found something similar on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/272427765477?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT I wonder if any of them have a fuel inlet filter?It is a small little barrel mesh filter, but I dont think either of the kits comes with it. Sorry for posting the link to ebay, just wanted you to look if it is the same. Thx

That is the same kit and cheaper as well. No issue here using ebay or anywhere else to get best value

CamaroMan

Petty Officer 1st Class
If you arent familiar with those - ive rebuilt a few with very good results, if you need any help pm me. My 77 camaro was getting 22mpg highway with a 400hp motor + 295 rears running perfectly on a "quadrajunk" - :) best carbs ever!

dlogvine

If you arent familiar with those - ive rebuilt a few with very good results, if you need any help pm me. My 77 camaro was getting 22mpg highway with a 400hp motor + 295 rears running perfectly on a "quadrajunk" - :) best carbs ever!
thank you buddy, will do it. I rebuild a couple carbs on my other boats and jetskies. wasn't too hard. will see how this one will go as soon as I get the kit.

km1125

Chief Petty Officer
Not sure what vintage yours are, but there were some years that were susceptible to leakdown from a leaking plug. There are fixes for this. Do some searches. The carb will otherwise run fine but if left sitting for days the fuel in the bowl will leak down into the manifold (ending up contaminating the oil) which will result in a much harder cold-start condition (because the float bowl has to fill first). This is not as noticable on the engines that have electric fuel pumps, as the pump will fill the bowl in seconds but on a mechanical pump it will take longer.

CamaroMan

Petty Officer 1st Class
thank you buddy, will do it. I rebuild a couple carbs on my other boats and jetskies. wasn't too hard. will see how this one will go as soon as I get the kit.

no probs - I did write a pretty good checklist down somewhere, and i forgot about the leaky plugs lol - do pm me, despite having about 15yrs of carb building exp the qjets have some very specific points id never seen before! :)

dlogvine

I did rebuild this carburator, still need to put a new float, it arrived next day. I also bought a couple rochester quadrajets for my other engine. one of them has an electrical choke, I wonder if I can use it and if yes what is the feeder line that connects to the chokey, original carburator had a manual choke. or if I should or could replace electrical choke with the mechanical?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
We need picture of you rebuild carb, or it didn't happen. Nice to see it is vacuum secondaries and that way you can't open them up unless the engine really need them. JMHO