1991 454 Bravo, first boat, bad intake gasket?

Allout123

Cadet
Hello!

I just purchased my first boat, a 1991 Century 5500 CLX with a 454 bravo. I missed this when I looked at it prior, but it appears that the intake gasket is lifted and allowing a leak into the valve covers. The oil looks good and clean and I haven't pulled this valve cover yet, but when looking in the oil fill plug everything looks tip top. However, some water/moisture definitely seeped through to wherever this goes too. I attached some pictures, can anyone tell me what I'm seeing and if I should be worried? Thank you so much.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Don't see any pictures,....

Allout123

Cadet
No Title

Attachments

• photo261191.JPG
    photo261191.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo261192.JPG
    photo261192.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo261193.JPG
    photo261193.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 0

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
If the intake gasket is "lifted" then any water on top of the manifold would go into the motor. The valve cover have their own gasket to prevent oil leakage.
Plus there is no water in that area

Allout123

Cadet
If the intake gasket is "lifted" then any water on top of the manifold would go into the motor. The valve cover have their own gasket to prevent oil leakage.
Plus there is no water in that area

Thanks for the reply. There was some water pooled up in that area that I cleaned up earlier. Is this no big deal and nothing to worry about? Or should I pull a valve cover and take a look in your opinion

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... All I see is some rust 'round where the choke stove/ heat riser passage goes under the carb,....
If that area of the gasket blew out, there'd be exhaust gas spewin' from it,....

Nothin' to do with the valve cover gasket,....
fetch

Allout123

Cadet
Ayuh,.... All I see is some rust 'round where the choke stove/ heat riser passage goes under the carb,....
If that area of the gasket blew out, there'd be exhaust gas spewin' from it,....

Nothin' to do with the valve cover gasket,....
fetch
Thanks for all of your help! I really appreciate it. I had no idea how that gasket overlays everything else and when I noticed the slight bubble and the rust I freaked out!

Thanks again!