RPM drops intermittently at high RPMs. Merc 4.3L

Status
Not open for further replies.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Whatever...the OP doesn't have a backfire and you are saying there is no way he has an ignition issue. I disagree.Maybe you mistyped?

sirchad

Seaman Apprentice
Update. Took it out yesterday to pull the kids tubing. Now it isnt idling as smooth as it should. Also getting some sputtering at lower rpms. Still starts fine and never dies or even comes close. Distributor cap/rotator/spark plug wires on order. After a little tune up we will see where it stands. It didnt drop out at high rpms though. Moody engine.

alldodge

Staff member
This kind of behavior would make me think a carb idle circuit issue, or float level if its running rich. Check your fuel filter contents

sirchad

Seaman Apprentice
Replaced distributor cap/rotor/spark plug wires. I checked 4 of the 6 plugs, they look normal, but i intend to replace soon anyways. However now the engine runs like crap. Sounds terrible. Runs but not right. I didnt cross wire anything and yes i am sure of it. My concern is how the new spark plug wire connect to the plugs themselves. There is no snap when they are pushed on. I dont see how a good electrical connection could be made as loose as they feel. All 6 feel the same too. Only on the plug side though. The cap side snaps as normal. Confused. Is there different connector sizes and the place sent me the wrong plugs......more investigation to come.
Maybe squeeze the connector with some pliers then press them on. I have never had to do that before. Also these are quicksilver wires.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I would not be concerned with the snap of the spark plug wires at this point. It's likely fine. All the spark plugs and wires are designed with the same size connection.

Did you ever disconnect the tach wire?

sirchad

Seaman Apprentice
I didn't "Yet". I wanted to run it between each item to know for sure what resolved it. At this point I have to get the engine back to a runable state to troubleshoot the original problem. At this point it is running as if one of the cylinders isn't firing(IMO). It makes a terrible noise once above 2500 RPMs. I am scared to run it up any higher for fear of damaging something major.
I tried to upload a video of the running engine in its current state but I guess the file is too big.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
It will take you 5 minutes. I had a bad tach once and it made the engine run like crap. It's worth the small time investment.

sirchad

Seaman Apprentice
also I took a glance at the coil and noticed there are only 2 wires going to the coil. Positive and negative wires I believe. The distributor to coil cable is removed during this pic. Well crap, apparently the forum file upload isn't working at this time.

sirchad

Seaman Apprentice
file attached of coil

Attachments

• 2017-03-31 14.03.46.jpg
    2017-03-31 14.03.46.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 1

alldodge

Staff member
The connection is made inside the harness, so there is only one connection at the coil. Need to get behind the helm and remove gray wire off tach.

Is this grease or something else inside the coil tower?

coil.jpg

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
The top of the coil looks super dirty too. I would clean that all up.

sirchad

Seaman Apprentice
it is grease in the coil. Gonna try to get a new coil tomorrow. And will also find the tach wire and remove.

sirchad

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Update. Well i know why the tune up made the engine run like crap. The wrong rotor was shipped to me. The pn is supposedly correct but the part is clearly wrong. It is for a v8 instead of my v6. They are supposed to be sending me a new rotor and distributor cap. See pic.

Attachments

• photo261730.jpg
    photo261730.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 1
  • photo261731.jpg
    photo261731.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 1

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... That sucks,....

That's also the Beauty of the T-Bolt distributors,.....
Same distributor can be swapped, V6 to V8, by changin' just the cap, 'n rotor,....

sirchad

Seaman Apprentice
Got the correct rotor shipped to me. Installed it. Also replaced the coil. The boat is running great so far. I couldnt get my initial problem to happen again either, yet. If it doesn't return I will update the post. I believe the coil may have played a big part of this. All in all just did a tune up plus the coil. Spark plugs/Spark plug wires/Distributor cap/rotor/coil. Fingers crossed for future runs. Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions.

Stonefingers

Recruit
I know it's a old post but did you get a alarm beep when the 1sec miss happened? I have the same issue and I'm leaning toward the coil being the issue. My motor will drop rpm for less then a second like the key was turned off and back on instantly. Seems to only happen once the engine is warm. I know I have to track all the ignition connectors but was looking for more info.
Thanks,
Mike

sirchad

Seaman Apprentice
Good thought. My alarm buzzer died a long time ago so i am not sure. However my boat hasnt had this issue since i rebuilt the carb last spring.

rwdahl

Recruit
I know it's a old post but did you get a alarm beep when the 1sec miss happened? I have the same issue and I'm leaning toward the coil being the issue. My motor will drop rpm for less then a second like the key was turned off and back on instantly. Seems to only happen once the engine is warm. I know I have to track all the ignition connectors but was looking for more info.
Thanks,
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.