Any way to avoid breaking shift cable off?

duped

Petty Officer 1st Class
As the title states. I've done a few shift cables over the years, and it seems like every time I do, the brass "nut" snaps off clean. I thought I learned a couple things after I broke the first one years ago. First, I cut the cable sheath with a bolt cutter so that it's able to spin free. I soaked the thing for a week in PB blaster. I hit the bell housing with a Mapp torch for quite a bit, and then used an impact gun to try and free it up. Predictably, it still broke. Even worse, whereas last time an easy out got the broken bit out, this one...well I cracked bellhousing. Thankfully I keep a spare of just about everything so I have my replacement bell housing all set up.

I'm just wondering since I still have to do my port side cable, is there a better way??? These are original 1985 cables. Is it just hopeless?

bman440440

Petty Officer 1st Class
anti seize it before you install it... its not going to back out it that particular application. as far as the one you have as of yet to do... to do not heat it... heating that would IMO make it MUCH tighter rather than looser... that is a casting and it will expand in the wrong way when heated

Rick Stephens

Admiral
I use VibraTite, which is a high viscosity anti loosening coating. It never gets hard nor is it a glue or thread locker. I have also seen recommended use of aircraft gasket sealant which never gets hard. Anti Seize can work, I have had less quality results with it in aluminum.

duped

Petty Officer 1st Class
I use the Permatex Aviation Form-A-Gasket, but the issue isn't with the ones I put in myself.

Unfortunately time and time again I find myself buying old junkers with seemingly the original cables still installed. 🤑

I will see about trying without heat. I'm wondering if I didn't just make it harder on myself using the torch. I was pretty shocked when the whole thing cracked. And the brass is still stuck solid in there. Maybe I just weakened the aluminum or something with the heat?

At worst I just stick another replacement bellhousing on there....

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Never even try to use a easy out there, best to drill and retap it. drill bit is for 1/4 inch pipe thread, tap is a STRAIGHT tap. Should you break another I have a GEN II housing

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Wow, that's crazy. Glad I was able to replace the cable bellows without removing the cable sheath.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
... and then used an impact gun to try and free it up. ....

And that is why it broke. Just use a normal socket and ratchet... I've never use a rattle/impact gun and I've never had one break....

Chris.....

Hoosmatroos

Petty Officer 1st Class
+++++10 Never use impact tools on the aluminium parts (complete assembly)